Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I see all of the debates going on, and Ive heard all kinds of things that are possibly going to be enacted, but I have a question: What exactly does SOS plan to do? From what I have read, the way I understand it is that SOS plans to have charter boats/captains labeled as a category between "commercial" fisherman and "recreational" fisherman in order to expand catch limits for the charter boats. Did I interpret the literature wrong?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I just spent an hour reading the topic started by Capt. Eugene. I think I have a clear perspective on exactly is proposed now. The charter guys get a bigger quota, our limits gets reduced. 10-4. So now not only the commercial guys are pushing us outta the water, but now the charter guys (but not all of them)have turned against us too. DAMNIT! Selfish Selfish Selfish. You know, IF ALL of us would stand together, charter and recreation, maybe we could put some loobyists in there and take back some of the 51% that the commercial guys have now. I support having <U>a </U>government, but some of things they do are just ridiculous. MONEY runs this country. We no longer have a government for the people, we have a government for hire.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
I don't know if it expands their catch limit but it separates the "for-hire sector" from the recreational sector.

In doing so, it allots them what they call their historical catch -- how much fish they have caught in a number of litmus years that will be used to set the bar.

Depending on how many/much fish they catch in these years, that will decide how much they get in the future per boat (each boat gets a different alottment.)

The figures that have been thrown around are 51% for commercial, 30% for for-hire and the remaining 19% for recreational.

There is much more to it but I've got a pumpkin to carve and a cranky toddler.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Joe, if charterhistorically catch 30% and recreational catch 19%, why do you think recreational deserves more? Wouldn't you be taking fromcharter . . .or is that the idea??

Deeplines, the reason NMFS is requiring a national registry (national fishing license) is to improve data collection. Isn't it interesting that many fishermen are against it? Statistical sampling is similar to tasting a large pot of fish chowder. If you stir thechowder well, you only need to taste a teaspoon full.You don't need to eat the entire pot to ensure it's good.

The next time you eat raw oysters, fresh local shrimp,a mullet plate, fresh grouper sandwich ora fresh red snapper dinner, you mightconsider a "thank you"to the fishermen who providedit. Tell you what . . .only eat what you catch.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
lbhuntley (11/1/2009)Joe, if charterhistorically catch 30% and recreational catch 19%, why do you think recreational deserves more? Wouldn't you be taking fromcharter . . .or is that the idea??

Deeplines, the reason NMFS is requiring a national registry (national fishing license) is to improve data collection. Isn't it interesting that many fishermen are against it? Statistical sampling is similar to tasting a large pot of fish chowder. If you stir thechowder well, you only need to taste a teaspoon full.You don't need to eat the entire pot to ensure it's good.

The next time you eat raw oysters, fresh local shrimp,a mullet plate, fresh grouper sandwich ora fresh red snapper dinner, you mightconsider a "thank you"to the fishermen who providedit. Tell you what . . .only eat what you catch.

Oh get over yourself already!

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
lbhuntley (11/1/2009)Joe, if charterhistorically catch 30% and recreational catch 19%, why do you think recreational deserves more? Wouldn't you be taking fromcharter . . .or is that the idea??

most of us DO only eat what we catch

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
enviro1 (11/1/2009)Please do not refer to me as a whack job. I am a concerned american citizen and I believe there are to many fish being taken out of the gulf of mexico. The resources belong to everyone. I would like to see the government restrict all fishing. the government has scientists and they say that youare overfishing grouper, snapper and amberjack. I expect there are many other species being overfished as well.

Peter Tang
Whatever whack job.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Matt We As Guys That work ator own a tackle shop can always stop Selling Tackle to these Guys Yea It Might Hurt Us Some, But If They Make It were a lot Of Recreational Fisherman and woman Stop Fishingbecause they can't keep anything Then we get The Shaft and Lose our Job, Hope They Like Shopping At China Mart or ordering on Line and paying Frieght Charges Plus They Will have to Pay Tax's on it because it will be ordered from out of state so they Can't get their Free Tax From Florida and LB I Fish For the Fun Of It I could Give a Rats Ass About Red Snapper,I would Rather Have Mingo's or trigger or Better Yet Flounder and BTW White Trout Eat Damn Good TOO Ever Think about Catching them!!! Guess Not !!! You guys started This Fight and think were just going to sit By and Let YOU take OUR Rights Away Better Think Again!!!!!!!!!:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
actually i think you are the land fisher so dont bust dude about going on a boat when you yourself are either at the t pier or on the wall at the base. dont be a bandwagon bro, make your own path

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
OMEGA (11/1/2009)actually i think you are the land fisher so dont bust dude about going on a boat when you yourself are either at the t pier or on the wall at the base. dont be a bandwagon bro, make your own path
i havent been on a boat lately but omega i NEVER hear about you going fishing

but this isnt about me or you, its about this wacko trying to take our fish from us

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oops. I meant to hit the back button. Oh well since I'm here. Hey Roofordie, I've PM'd you twice on the tent you have for sale. Call me before you lower the price anymore. Oh, ya I took my wife and 6 year daughter out today and tried to catch some bull reds. Stopped by the Mass for a few minutes and only caught red snapper. My six year old was mad we couldn't keep any. I explained to her that they were near extinction. I thinkshe believed me, but she still wasn't happy.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
BigBrandon (11/1/2009)
OMEGA (11/1/2009)actually i think you are the land fisher so dont bust dude about going on a boat when you yourself are either at the t pier or on the wall at the base. dont be a bandwagon bro, make your own path

i havent been on a boat lately but omega i NEVER hear about you going fishing

but this isnt about me or you, its about this wacko trying to take our fish from us

then keep it at that, why bust on dude because he doesnt see it that way or maybe doesnt have a boat or boat access. fyi i dont make reports because i have a 'unique' fan club. i do post reports with pics when i go on a nice charter to share the info and tip my hat to that captain, other than that i keep my personal time to myself. thanks for noticing though! :letsdrink

Extra Point for deleting that post also! nice

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Eating what you catch!!!! That's what I do because I'm picky about my fish. I hardly ever eat fish at a restaurant because I like fresh fish. I catch and eat fish fresh the way I like them. I also vacuum pack and freeze some of my catch for later. I don't have a problem with eating what I catch at all. As a matter fo fact I prefer it.

Kim

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

I'm actually glad I touched a nerve. Here is why. I only eat what I catch, Except for oysters and shrimp I will have to admit. I have NEVER eating a fish that I boughtsince I have bought a boat.I haven't eaten a steak in a restaurant in over 25 years. Glad to know some of the crap I have typed hit home and is close to reality and is close to exposing you .

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dbyrd2100 (11/1/2009)Oops. I meant to hit the back button. Oh well since I'm here. Hey Roofordie, I've PM'd you twice on the tent you have for sale. Call me before you lower the price anymore. Oh, ya I took my wife and 6 year daughter out today and tried to catch some bull reds. Stopped by the Mass for a few minutes and only caught red snapper. My six year old was mad we couldn't keep any. I explained to her that they were near extinction. I thinkshe believed me, but she still wasn't happy.
YEah, I got the one PM, and I sent you my number. The tent is your's as soon as you pick it up

Guys, I read a lot of the arguements and bickering on the other threads, and while I did find them entertaining, and a few quite ammusing, My intention with this thread was to hear EXACTLY what the charter guys are trying to achieve with this. I know we all have our opinions of it and our own take on it, but I wanted to hear from them their best arguement for this. I myself am definetly not a charter captain, but I do boat fish and shore fish a lot. From my fellow recreational anglers, I gather this is a move that will screw us. From what I read of the S.O.S. plan, I believe this will screw us. I grew up fishing the northwest, and due to the lack of commercial interests there, we never had this crap to deal with. The gulf of Mexico is a huge natural resource, that should have the ability of being utilized equally as a commercial asset AND a recreational mecca. This is ridiculous

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlPrivateMessage_ctlPanelBar_ctlPrivateMessageRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>One of the charter guys sent this to me, thought Id share

please go to www.saveoursector.com and read all of it carefully. Do not rely on this or any other blog for accurate information. You owe it to yourself to gain knowlege. It will not mean you agree with our plan but at least you will have the accurate public plan to understand. What gets lost in the rehtoric is that this plan is for recreational fishermen who do not own boats.All fish caught on charter boats are harvested by recreational fishermen.None of these fish go to charter boat Captains or crew.Also the industry has a 31 year historical catch history and that is all it will ask for . The increase in the TAC of all species by true data and accountability is THE only way anyone will get to land more fish.Do you want to fish 40% of a 2.1 million pound TAC or a 10 million pound TAC?IF THE SEASONS ARE TOTALLY CLOSED THE PERCENTAGES ARE NO LONGER A ISSUE. What will be the percentage of 0 be? thats right a big fat 0 (closed season by 2012).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Guys, I must keep saying this, the sos supporters are not the majority of charter boats in the Gulf, to the contrary, they only represent maybe 100 charter boats. The vast majority of charterboats in the Gulf do not support sector separation. Do not be confused by the talk of a select few.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
i'm still trying to wrap my noggin around this whole thing. i not only agree that the harvest data is inaccurate, but i don't even see how the powers that be have succeeded in setting regulations based on numbers pulled out of nowhere. i also don't see how the SOS website states they don't intend to take any fish from the rec fisherman when it appears to me like that's exactly what they're doing. all that aside, on the surface i would agree that charter boats should be in a different sector than me and my buddies going out on our own. they do it to make a living and i won't dispute that. but since they're sorta between rec and commercial, why split only the rec sector catch %? why don't they realign the whole thing? i won't begin to guess what would be thought of as "fair" but just an example, commercial 45%, charter 30%, rec 25%. again, not saying those numbers are perfect, buta compromise of some sort should be attainable. just until the gov't gets reliable numbers anyway. i read a good bit of the SOS website and i'vetried to read as much on here as i can and i didn't see where that was brought up. i may be way off-base but i'm just surprised noone'sbroughtthis up.if they have and i missed, i'll try to keep up from now on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts