Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. I've been browsing through the forums here for a little while, but finally decided to introduce myself. I am a 2nd Lt, just finishing TBS and about to PCS to Pensacola to start my flight training. Originally from CA, and did an aweful lot of hunting out west, mostly blacktail, pigs, dove, duck, the list goes on. I have yet to harvest a whitetail (despite my best but limited efforts here in VA) and all the pictures everyone here are posting is getting my excited for fall to get here.

Anyways, I know the routine as far as finding a hunting partner goes and the importance of having your own secret spots, but if anyone wouldn't mind shooting the breeze sometime and possibly hooking up for a little shooting at the range, I am more than qualified (can provide rifle/pistol qual scores to prove; I even surprised myself haha).

I hope to contribute as much as possible here; I do my own reloading,all my hunts have been DIY so far, and think I have a fair amount of knowledge to share with everyone. Hope everyone is doing well this year in all their endeavors so far!! :usaflag

Vince

·
Super Moderator
19,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum you will get some good info for fishing and hunting. i would be more than happy to take you to the deer woods this fall to take your first whitetail. I know its far off but get with me towards the fall.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be awesome. I've got just about every piece of gear I could need, and shoot archery, shotgun, and rifle... Though I have a brand new Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 that I still haven't even fired. Just picked up a new Nikon ProStaff 3-9 BDC scope and 550 rangefinder combo, so very much looking forward to putting it all to good use this year.

How did you do last year? Do you do any wing shooting?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also kind of an off-topic question, but I'm looking at houses in the area for when my wife and I move down. Is Milton a good choice? I know I will get mixed answers, but just trying to get an idea (hunting wise too haha)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
OutdoorAviator (4/10/2009)Also kind of an off-topic question, but I'm looking at houses in the area for when my wife and I move down. Is Milton a good choice? I know I will get mixed answers, but just trying to get an idea (hunting wise too haha)
Are you looking to buy or rent? Size, price range? There's plenty available! :banghead

WELCOME!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking to rent, as we have no idea for exactly how long we will be there. Looking for under 1000, preferably maybe around 900ish. Something fairly modern, 2 car garage. I've been browsing craigslist, and there seems to be lots available, just trying to narrow down the inevitable "shotgun approach"

·
Praedator
9,913 Posts
Flounderpounder (4/10/2009)
OutdoorAviator (4/10/2009)Also kind of an off-topic question, but I'm looking at houses in the area for when my wife and I move down. Is Milton a good choice? I know I will get mixed answers, but just trying to get an idea (hunting wise too haha)
Are you looking to buy or rent? Size, price range? There's plenty available! :banghead

WELCOME!
Milton/Santa Rosa County is a much better place to live in my opinion. Schools are better. And it's more of a country atmosphere. You can get more land/home for your money as well. Both myself and Flounderpounder above live on the southern half of Milton in the area know as Garcon Point. We are far enough away from the traffic and craziness, yet close enough to everything in the area. I hate that I might have to move out of the area for my job. Garcon Point is the first place that I have lived that I simply love every aspect of the area.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
milton and pace are both nice and are gettin bigger by the day. are you gonna be stationed at NASPen or whiting?? cause NAS is a bit of a drive from milton even though i know people who drive it daily. also if you live in milton you are pretty close to Blackwater WMA which has lots of deer!!

as stated earlier its good that you started talking really early cause if you waited till just before the season and started pokin around as a newbie lookin for some handout hunts you would get slammed.. there was actually a guy this season that said he didnt want to pay or help out around your camp or even put in any time in the woods at all, he just wanted ppl to take him to their private leases and let him kill deer. he got massacred on here..

just keep in touch and when it gets fairly close to the season hit me up and ill see if i can bring you up for a work day which in turn will get you some hunts.. i like gettin people into hunting and getting their first deer, even though youve killed deer, youve never killed a whitetail!!! no better feeling on earth IMO..

Scully

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on being one of the few (very few actually) to start off on the right foot. Theres plenty of people on here that will be more than happy to help you along the way. I'm not far from the back gate of NAS so i'll keep an eye out for places that are for rent. How long til you get down to pensacola?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will be at NASPen at first, but with how backed up the pipeline is right now, it may be months before I even start classes.. The info we get here in VA is negligible.. I've also been told to check out Milton/Pace area, just not too sure I want to make the long drive every morning for months on end when nothing is going on, especially driving a Titan and getting 16mpg on the fwy.

I am definitely more than willing to put in my fair share of work if that means I can get access to some woods. I've also been on a number of forums to see the same thing happen: Joe Schmo shows up a week before season and wants someone to take him... blah blah blah. That's definitely not me. I also prize does just as much as taking a buck; in my opinion, venison is venison (and it can be argued does taste a bit better than bucks).

What's the pig population like in the area??

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
lots and lots of pigs. the pace/milton area is alright....Its a lot longer drive than what i would want to make. but jon (telum pisces) does make the drive from garcon pt to NAS so he would be better suited to answer that question. you might also want to check out the classifieds on PNJ.com for houses

·
Praedator
9,913 Posts
biggamefishr (4/10/2009)lots and lots of pigs. the pace/milton area is alright....Its a lot longer drive than what i would want to make. but jon (telum pisces) does make the drive from garcon pt to NAS so he would be better suited to answer that question. you might also want to check out the classifieds on PNJ.com for houses
Yes I make the drive, 31 miles one way. The key is to not get too far up in Milton/Pace. Stick to the areas directly near interstate I-10. I live 6 minutes from the interstate. It takes me 32 minutes from the driveway at home to the doorstep here at NASP. It's mostly interstate. But I would not trade it for anything. I am a country boy and love my space and quiet/peacefull living. To find a place in the Pensacola area with 1/2 acre or more is near impossible at a reasonable cost. I love living where there is no traffic. I can get off the interstate and pass 3 cars till I get home at1600. I drive through my old stopping grounds over there on the west side near the fair grounds in Pensacolaand it drives me mad now. Too many people in too much of a hurry to get to their destination.

Now Pace has gotten pretty busy as of late. Hwy 90 is the main attery through there and the only way to get around town in Pace for the most part. So traffic can be a pain there as well. To drive from Pace to NASP would be a looong drive.

Stick to the areas around I-10, Avalon Blvd, Garcon Point Rd etc... if you will be travelling back and forth to Pensacola a lot like I do. It takes me less time to get to work than some of my co-workers that live in Northeast Pensacola because of traffic they deal with.

But it just all depends on what your tastes are. If you have kids, Santa Rosa county is just a no brainer for the better schools. All of the elementary and middle school through out the county are top notch. Milton high is at the low end of the highschools in the area. But it is still better than most shcools in Escambia county when it comes to academics. The area known as Gulf Breeze in Santa Rosa countyand much of the southern county are great for schools. But you do pay to live in those areas.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,091 Posts
I'd look for a house to buyaround theairportor Nine Mile Road. You'll be 30 minutes or so to NAS and about 30 minutes to Whiting. Your wife will like being near the malls. Theaters close, chain restaurants aplenty,"downtown" P'cola will be less than 20 minutes.

You're smart buying a house... I wish I'd boughteven a smallhouse at every station I went to then rented it out afterward.

As soon as you arrive, put your name on the list to get a spot at Sherman Cove for a boat. Even if you don't get one, you can always say no when your name comes up.

Good Luck,

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts