Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son killed his first buck with a muzzleloader (wolf CVA 50 cal)Friday afternoon. He hit the deer in the shoulder blade with 245 grain powerbelt. The shot was good and the deer was not spooked prior to the shot. But he ran over 300 yards and no blood was found for 200yards. The front leg was broken and the deer was leaving a bad track that the only way we were able to track the buck until he started bleeding out the entrance hole. The bullet never exited the deer, but desingrated in the lungs. Both lungs were destroyed. My question is this normal for a muzzle loader not to exit. The powerbelts shoot the best of several bullts taht we have tried so I don't want to switch if I dont have to, but this was not a huge bodied deer, and he went a long way through some pretty thick stuff. Anyway here is the photo I hope.

adamfirstmuzzbuck3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
congrats on the buck! That is interesting about the CVA powerbelt bullet. My father shot a doe this weekend, and i was very unimpressed as to the size of the hole or damage that it created in that deer, plus there was NO blood where the deer had died. Then the next day, I shot two does with a 245grain shock wave from TC, and damn what a freaking hole. I mean some big time damage. I think my father is planning on switching bullets. There were a couple of boys that hunt with us that used them, the powerbelts, last year and never could shoot through a deer, with minimal to no blood. I really think it is the bullet design. Something to think about

wes

·
Registered
687 Posts
My son shot yesterday with 50 cal & it did not go thru, we found the bullet just under the skin on the ham & he ran 150 yds pouring blood, never seen anything like this, been trying to post pics but can't, my son is nine yrs old was his first muzzel loader kill, it was a great hunt sorry no pic's yet.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Were you shooting 100 or 150 grains of powder?

The reason I asked is that a buddy of mine had the same problem last year . He was shooting 100 grains and upped it to 150 grains and he was able to get a pass through on the next deer he shot at.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think those powerbelt bullets with the cup on the back don't get all the energy that is in the barrel ,thus making it not go thru and not do as much damage.They are more accurate in my gun as well but I have found that all bullets are more accurate out of my gun when I reduce my powder charge to about 90 gr. they just aren't as accurate at long ranges.This is why I think they don't hold all the pressure in ,and the other fellas reply of using 150gr. just makes me believe it more.I use the cheapest full sabot I can find as long as it has the full cup all the way around the entire bullet, they are a little stiffer going in the barre but I think thats what makes the difference,I shot one yesterday and it went clean thru,the deer ran 30 yards. Just my 1 1/2 cents! At least you got the deer! Congrats to your son! :clap

·
Registered
22 Posts
I shoot the 245 Grain Power Belts and usually have trouble getting any Blood but have never had a problem with the bullets not exiting . I shot a doe 2 years ago head on in the Brisket and the bullet came out it's Ham . I only shoot 100 grains of powder . A guy at the camp shoots the Shockwaves and hardly ever has them not drop right there . I have thought about changing but hate to because they shoot so good and i have never had one go more than 30 yards . I shot a doe saturday and it didnt go 15 yards and there was blood everywhere . It makes me scratch my head . I have thought about trying the Powerbelt Hollow point's to see if i get more expansion but i am worried about the Accuracy . Has anyone tried them ?

·
Registered
782 Posts
first let me say i am very proud for adam, that is such a impressive accomplishment for a person of his age.

i shoot the hornady sst with 100 grain tripple seven (2 pellets). it leaves MASSIVE HOLES both sides. they usually do not go anywhere, they tend to lay down.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I shoot that exact same load and have never had a problem with Damage or exit wounds. I have never had one go through the deer but to be honest with you, I dont want it to. I want it hit and expand and do as much damage as possible. I did switch this year to aerotip and found the bullet did actually pass almost all the way through. I found most of the bullet and expansion was unreal, it was about an 1.5 inches flattened out and tore through the deer almost exiting. There was a hole but the bullet was still hanging in the hole. BTW, the deer only ran about 20 yds.

Amazingly it really brings up the question of the strength of the deer. When I shoot them in the neck, they drop like a rock but when I shoot for the shoulder blades, they tend to run. I am also talking about my rifle not just my ML. The damage done to the last buck I shot with my 30-06 was incredible and it still ran about 60+ yds. I have never had one go more than 30 or so, so I was pretty amazed when that one did. So I am not sure except the pure strength of the animal why they run so far.

Now congrats to him and that is one nice buck. Way to go!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I shoot the power belt 295 grain hollow points .50 cal with 100g 777 pellets--very accurate and I have never had trouble tracking the deer--usually on the ground within 50 yards.--there is always a "freak thing"--I have seen deer go 100 yards after being shot with a 3006--deer immediately dropped by an arrow shot thru the anus etc.

my gun easily groups these rounds at 1" at 50 yards and less than 4" at 100 yards

try the hollow points--I have been using these since I bought my cva--these are the same bullets which came with the gun new which Ipurchased in 2001.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
"there is always a "freak thing"--I have seen deer go 100 yards after being shot with a 3006--deer immediately dropped by an arrow shot thru the anus etc."

Well hell if someone shot you through the ass with an arrow you would fall to! j/k:poke

Good job on the first muzzleloader kill to both of you young men.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I switched to the 295 gr. powerbelt lead hollow points a few years ago. All the problems mentioned above, I also suffered from. They have alldisappeared since the switch. With a 100gr. of 777 pellets, I shot an 8pt. opening day of AL., through the shoulder, out through the opposite "arm pit" then throu the other leg bone. Good blood trail, found deer about 35 yds later. This is the furthest one has run since I have made the switch.I've probally taken 6 or 8 deer with them, all but two of them, droped in their tracks.I'm sold on them for now. I really like ease of use, of the powerbelt bullets. My $.02 worth.

Oh yea, Great buck Adam.!! Congratulations!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
yea i seen pics of that dear good job dean now if i could just kill me a buck that sizes i will be doing good:moon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats to you and your son! - My son also shot his first deer this year with a muzzleloader. We shoot a TC Omega. Last year we did a neat science project for his class at 7th grade. We cut pieces of plywood, stacked and screwed them together like a deck of cards. We set the block of plywood out at 50 yards and he shot multiple brands of bullets at it with 50 grains of powder (Pyro pellets) - this low load was to minimize the recoil. Anyway, we found that the best bullet for us was the Hornady XTP. I believe it is 245 grains and 44 cal. in a sabot to make a 50 cal. load. This bullet went almost twice as far into the target than any other bullet including powerbelts and shockwaves. Anyway, this might be a good project for other kids to enjoy. Good Luck Hunting !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts