Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I seeing here? Trolling motor was in anchor mode I think. Green lines is noise from the troller running which has been addressed with addition of another battery.

Shallow Hybrid (2).PNG

Shallow Hybrid.PNG

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Fish moving up and down in the water column - likely you had a little current - fish swiming at the same speed throught the water as the trolling motor was moving you boat .. and fish guilding up and down but staying in your transducer cone

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. So in theory, if I reversed course over the same spot, I 'll see the "arches"?
Unless they followed the boat again. :mad:

Then there's this. I see the structure but the green/yellow/red fuzz, fish or stuff growing off the structure?

Lib (3) - Copy.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,451 Posts
Your getting a stretched picture because your screen speed is to high. When the trolling motor is in the water, your screen speed should be on 1. You’ll get better image. Rule of thumb is, always match screen speed to vessel speed. Or close.

·
Premium Member
9,451 Posts
Thanks. So in theory, if I reversed course over the same spot, I 'll see the "arches"?

Then there's this. I see the structure but the green/yellow/red fuzz, fish or stuff growing off the structure?

View attachment 1041534
Probably smaller fish. Or less dense targets. Could possibly be rope.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Yea, I think I have the screen speed way up there, I'll slow it down for sure.
Owned this Helix 10 for almost 2 years and still learning it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Keep in mind the only thing that is current about what you see is what is at the right margin of the screen, and it's all based on the fish movement relative to the transducer. Everything else but the right margin is a history, a 'tracing' if you will. The sonar interprets signals by distance, so a fish moving toward the transducer will appear to 'rise' in the water column, and the spaghetti-like squiggles are just a combination of those two factors.

What you are seeing is active fish. The upward and downward slant of the squiggles can be fish rising or falling in the water column, but could also just be a fish swimming toward and away from the transducer. Either way it's good because it means there are active fish.

The short take-home is spaghetti squiggles on the screen indicates active fish, and that's generally a good thing. Often it means they are chasing bait, but spaghetti is almost always better than stationary signals that just sit under the boat.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

View attachment 1041534
In this picture, the more solid red stuff should be your structure. The color intensity is based on the density of the signal. Depending on your color palette choice it can vary, but based on what I see here, you have a pretty standard palette where red is more dense, then orange, then yellow, green, then blue. It's like looking a color radar image for storms, sorta.

So the green fuzz on the right of the structure is likely very small fish, aka bait. The yellow 'fuzz' on top is likely a school of something hanging near the structure. The yellow and green stuff on the left of the structure, I'm not sure... could be thick vegetation or fish, it's hard for me to say. The more intense the color, the more dense the signal, and generally that means the bigger the fish is that's making that signal. A tightly packed school can look more 'dense', hence large blobs of 'darker' colors up in the water column are sometimes bait that's schooled so tightly that it looks more 'solid' or dense... their defense mechanism. The blobs that appear on or at the bottom can be tougher to be sure about... in freshwater (where most of my sonar experience comes from), a dense brush pile can appear very similar to a bait school, so knowing what you're sitting over does help. If you have a unit capable of Down Imaging (DI), it can sometimes bring into clearer 'focus' what you're seeing.... DI has a narrower cone but higher detail, but I don't use DI very often personally.

People who get really good at understanding the densities of the various fish species can start to discern what types of fish they are seeing based on the intensity of the signal compared with the size of the 'blob' or 'arch'. I'm not that advanced yet, but I'm trying.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Goof info. I never thought about screen speed.

What you guy make of this screen? Bait, small fish?
Lot of fish with some movement, hence the squiggles. Bigger than bait. Big school of something. What type I couldn't tell you... they are occupying a lot of the water column, whatever they are.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have DI but really haven't used it. Looks like it's time.
Only bad part about all the advice is waiting for the next calm spell out there. :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts