Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the pharmacy today to pick up wife's prescription, (they sell guns here too) looked at a stainless Ruger Model 77 MkII hawkeye compact .308..... Needless to say I WILL HAVE IT BEFORE NEXT RIFLE SEASON, this thing is SWEET! It's light, short and downright purdy with it's black laminate stock.... Oh yeah, I can feel it now!!!

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
Good Choice and I like the 308.
I set out to buy the last hunting rifle of my life several years back and also went SS .
It is a Tikka Lite 270win and is 1/2 MOA

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nice I will be getting a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in 308. Has a 22" barrel and weigh 6lbs 12oz. Definitely post pics of it when you get it and a range review! Curious to how those Rugers shoot.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, been doing a pile of review reading on this rifle, kinda mixed... 16.5" barrel sounds good, but apparently may effect accuracy/grouping, some saying it shoots great but big difference shooting 1" groups at 100 Yds and at 200 yds +..... Eyeballing the American compact stainless steel in .308 with 18" barrel now.... Not nearly as pretty a gun as the hawkeye, but performance is main concern

·
Super Moderator
19,888 Posts
Hmm, been doing a pile of review reading on this rifle, kinda mixed... 16.5" barrel sounds good, but apparently may effect accuracy/grouping, some saying it shoots great but big difference shooting 1" groups at 100 Yds and at 200 yds +..... Eyeballing the American compact stainless steel in .308 with 18" barrel now.... Not nearly as pretty a gun as the hawkeye, but performance is main concern

I got a coupe of them and they are hit and miss. I had to work real hard on one to find a load it would shoot half assed. The Hawkeye is a lot better quality gun but I'd be willing to bet the Americans are a lot more consistent in accuracy. I haven't shot an American yet that didn't shoot MOA. Wish I could say that about my Compact Hawkeye.

Close range they are great guns. I wouldn't take any long shots with mine.

·
Super Moderator
28,581 Posts
Went to the pharmacy today to pick up wife's prescription, (they sell guns here too) looked at a stainless Ruger Model 77 MkII hawkeye compact .308..... Needless to say I WILL HAVE IT BEFORE NEXT RIFLE SEASON, this thing is SWEET! It's light, short and downright purdy with it's black laminate stock.... Oh yeah, I can feel it now!!!
Ifin it's a fit fer ya, BUY IT!!! I know the 1st time I picked up my Steyr 7-08 and I felt a rise, it was time to buy!!!!!;):thumbsup:

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a coupe of them and they are hit and miss. I had to work real hard on one to find a load it would shoot half assed. The Hawkeye is a lot better quality gun but I'd be willing to bet the Americans are a lot more consistent in accuracy. I haven't shot an American yet that didn't shoot MOA. Wish I could say that about my Compact Hawkeye.

Close range they are great guns. I wouldn't take any long shots with mine.
Good to hear, not interested in putting $800 into something I am gonna have to spend a lot of time with just to get it to shoot half azz, dad bought himself an American .308 a couple years ago, and of all the rifles he has, he said it is his best shooting...... Sure like the way that hawkeye looks though, but it kinda sounds like I might be a little disappointed in it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not trying to be a jerk or anything :D but a short barrel doesn't have anything to do with the guns grouping well. A short barrel actually stiffens the barrel which would help a very tiny bit. Small light guns are hard to shoot compared to a standard type rifle.
The 16.5" barrel will be loud though.

I have a few model sevens and stuggle to shoot them like I do a heavier rifle. Think they're considered 18.5" .

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
If you're wanting light weight and shorter barrel get you a kimber Adirondack. Kimber finally started guaranteeing their accuracy. I've got a couple of buddies, one with a Montana and one with a mountain ascent, both are sweet rifles and stupid light!

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
Is your pharmacy on a street corner on the bad side of town. Ha,ha

I have seen lumber/guns, feed/guns but no pharmacy/guns. Maybe I will open a liquor/gun store?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is your pharmacy on a street corner on the bad side of town. Ha,ha

I have seen lumber/guns, feed/guns but no pharmacy/guns. Maybe I will open a liquor/gun store?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Ha, no it's actually in a nice area, (out in the country) it is unusual, but it works for me!

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
I'm in the market for something similar as well. My BAR Shorttrac is just too damn heavy for what I do. I really like the Ruger American, but I can't stand how the bolt won't lock. Borrowed one and after a few minutes of walking, the bolt kept opening up. I ain't got time for that.

I think I'm going with a stainless tikka, and having the barrel cut/crowned to 18"... I can't stand a long barrel, especially for hunting in the thick stuff.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm in the market for something similar as well. My BAR Shorttrac is just too damn heavy for what I do. I really like the Ruger American, but I can't stand how the bolt won't lock. Borrowed one and after a few minutes of walking, the bolt kept opening up. I ain't got time for that.

I think I'm going with a stainless tikka, and having the barrel cut/crowned to 18"... I can't stand a long barrel, especially for hunting in the thick stuff.
TC Ventures are another good one to look at. Look at a compact, has a 20" barrel and weighs around 6.75lbs. They are tack drivers too, well at least the one I borrowed this year from my father.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky on a production line rifle and get a good barrel, which is the secret to accuracy. For the price, Ive been impressed with the T/C Contender. They guarantee MOA accuracy right out of the box.

But I'm gonna go with Linkovich and endorse the Kimber. It will cost you 1 and 1/2 times as much as the Ruger, but it comes with a match grade barrel, match grade trigger, pillar and glass bedded, three position safety (so you can lock the bolt if you want to), full length Mauser extractor, and my favorite, it weighs 5 lbs 10 ounces.

I have several other deer rifles, but when it's time to go hunting I always grab the Kimber.

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
I hope they build a quality rifle for the money... their pistols are garbage compared to other 1911s in that range.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would buy a Howa Alpine Mountain (5.7lbs short action 20" barrel) or a Savage Lightweight hunter (5.5lbs short action 20" barrel) before I bought a Kimber Montana. Reading reviews on Kimber's light weight rifles it seems like it is a 50/50 shot on getting a good one. I would not pay the money they are asking for in those rifles.

Reactions: chaddd

·
Super Moderator
19,888 Posts
Montana is the most overrated rifle made. I've had 6-7 of them, notice how I said had and I never paid over $600 for any of them.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I think a tikka can do anything you want out to 600 yards. Spend half the money on the rifle and twice the money on glass.
The only thing I dislike about Tikka is the same length bolt for both short action and long action..... But there accuracy is amazing, from the groups I have seen them rifles shoot if you have the right glass, load, I would think it could get you out to 1,000 if you ever wanted to do that.

Reactions: chaddd
1 - 20 of 44 Posts