Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was freelining shrimp the other night, I was using 15 lb Flouro leader. I caught trout and reds, but whenever I got a big hit, my line was severed very easily. What fish is doing this around Ono Island and how can I combat this so I can hook more fish?

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,404 Posts
Is it the leader that gets cut or the line?

If it's the leader do you do anything that might put a nick in the leader as you store it?

If it's the line, do you do anything to try to add tension to the line as you spool your reel? Once upon a time I thought I was smart and to help add tension while putting line on my reels I would do a couple laps around 2 chair legs on a wooden chair. I did not realize it until I went fishing that every time I reeled it would put a chaff spot on the line every 2 feet or so.

Otherwise it's a toothy fish, upgrade the leader or line as appropriate, or check your knot or as stated add 6 inches of a wire leader. But wire will be pretty evident to reds and trout.

Jim

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is definately the fish's teeth. I am trying to catch trout and reds so I am trying to not use wire. I use wire when fishing off the beach in my kayak. Do bluefish come inshore like that on the North side of Ono Island?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Bluefish definitely come inshore. That would be my guess as to what it was. In my experience bluefish cut you off almost instantly after the rod loads up.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'd say Spanish would be the likely culprit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts