Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Very cool fishery up there. I hope I can go back one day.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
2015 Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
Effective January 1, 2015, the recreational bluefin tuna (BFT) daily retention limit is the default limit of 1 BFT measuring 27-<73". This recreational daily limit applies for both HMS Angling-permitted vessels and HMS Charter/Headboat-permitted vessels, and is effective for all areas except the Gulf of Mexico, where directed BFT fishing is prohibited. The recreational BFT trophy fishery (73"+) will reopen for the Gulf of Mexico (incidental only), and the areas north and south of 39°18’N (off Great Egg Inlet, NJ) with a limit of 1 BFT measuring 73" or greater/vessel/year. The recreational yellowfin tuna retention limit is 3/person/day or trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational daily retention limits for bigeye, skipjack, or albacore tunas.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
At the end the article stated that he was a commercial fisherman and sold the catch. I wonder how much he got for those beasts

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
I would love to catch a BFT on a spinning reel...and not trolling, but popping for them...wish FL had some BFT
Florida has Bluefin Tuna. We even have them in the Gulf (Gulf is a breeding area) and this is the first year, in a long time, that we can keep one.

Friend of mine was fishing for Marlin, south of here, hooked four at one time. Pulled the hook on one, released two and had one die at the boat.

Some other friends of mine caught an 837 lb.er in the Biloxi (GCBGFT) Billfishing tournament in 1999 and I think the 'Mollie' caught a 445 lb.er in 2001. Not to mention the hundreds of giant Bluefins that have been caught south of Bimini, Bahamas and around Cat Cay, Bahamas. Very close to Florida. I think there was a 971 lb.er caught there in 1993.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
There was a potential NC state record caught today. It was 1005lbs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts