Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Give a man a fish...
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing a bit of research into the validity of Solunar Tables. If you don't already know, Solunar Tables use the position and phase of the moon, the position of the sun and the influence on the tide by both sun and moon to predict Animal and Fish feeding behavior.

According to my iPhone App, iSolunar, fishing today between the hours of 11:30 and 14:30 should have been stellar (so to speak). However, I brought my "A" game to the gulf today and didn't get so much as a nibble. (I know right?)

If you fished today, please post your report here, with the times you had lines in the water, whether it was salt or fresh and what bait you used and where you got it.

It should be interesting to hear the experiences of others with regard to their "luck" during todays so called "major period".

Thanks in advance,

Bones

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think that the solunar tables work much better for inshore fishing where tides play a much larger role. Offshore currents aren't effected as much by tides but meteorological conditions and the earths rotation. In the past they have worked for me. I don't let the chart determine wether I fish or not, but it helps me to determine where I might want to be at a certain time. I believe in the old addage that "the best time to fish is when you can."

·
Registered
439 Posts
Fished from the shore in the GOM near Peg Leg Petes on Pcola Beach from 1pm to 3pm. Cast out frozen shrimp on two hook drop rigs from 3 rods...Oh yeah! Nothing caught.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think that the solunar tables work much better for inshore fishing where tides play a much larger role. Offshore currents aren't effected as much by tides but meteorological conditions and the earths rotation. In the past they have worked for me. I don't let the chart determine wether I fish or not, but it helps me to determine where I might want to be at a certain time. I believe in the old addage that "the best time to fish is when you can."
I agree. Although, I do rely on tide tables more than the times and/or days the solunar tables say will be good/best/bad. I do have to say that There have been some trips where the bite was dead on with the solunar's but those have been inshore

1 - 4 of 4 Posts