Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With time running out due to me leaving in 2 weeks for a Ms. bowhunt and my work schedule I can't pass up any chance to try and fill my gator tags. After not getting it done the 2nd week I had to wait for thing to open back up to go again. I spent a few nights going solo, but I am fortunate enough to be good friends with one of the best gator hunters around here. Ron Vanderpol(Boneyard) spent 3 night with me on the river during the 2nd week and we were all over gators but the only thing we boated was a 7'2" that we measured and released and a 3 footer that I hand caught for the fun of it. While I was sitting on the sidelines during the 3rd and 4th week seasons Ron was helping others load up the gators. The down side is that Ron isn't as young as he used to be and he has gone HARD for the last month. Seeing how the weather temps weren't perfect and him needing a break, I hit it solo again. I got this 8 footer to take the bait around 4:00 this morning and the fun began. Trying to pull a gator to the surface with one hand and harpoon him with the other is pretty dang tough!! Not to mention the hell that breaks loose once you nail him with the harpoon. After several tense minutes of rollin, pullin, and almost knockin me over board when he slammed into my trolling motor I finally got him to the point of bang sticking him. Won't say how many slugs we pulled out of that gators head, but DAMN they die hard!! After he was in the boat I was literally VIBRATING!! The adrenalin rush of landing that thing by myself was insane!! I have to thank my wife for putting up with my all night river runs, and my good buddy Ron for all his help and guidance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
Nice work, I bet that was a rush! I thought by law you had to kill them and couldn't release them tho?

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's a heck of a feat landing a gator of that caliber by your self. I guess I can't dog ya about this hunt, and if the truth be known folks, I didn't exactly get an invite on this hunt. I don't know if it was because I didn't volunteer, or because I always dog him out on the PFF everytime we go. I mean what are friends for? I think a buddy should be dogged when he misses a gator 10' long and 3' wide with a harpoon three times @ 3 feet. Oh--sorry Ken I guess im doing it again. What matters is we put that Big Ol' Boy in the boat. Of course Ken couldn't hardly walk for a week. OH--sorry Ken- did it again. I do like to go back and look at the pic's of clients and friends that I have harvested gators with . All of them were great times with great stories, and Ken is in a few of them. Congrats Ken on a an awesome feat!!! Here is a pic of last years gator.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I believe JCW is correct
but I figured it was not my business to tell others my opinion
however I feel as though misinformation is bad information
if you look into that big yellow book that comes with your license
2012 Statewide Alligator Harvest Training and orientation Manual
lets say maybe page 10
in bold letters it states somthing like this
Alligators must be killed immediately upon capture. Catching and releasing alligators is not allowed.
but who determines at what point you consider it captured?
so unless you brag about it no one really knows
so perhaps somethings that go on on the water should stay on the water

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks Scoty for pointing this out. I don't have the new manual but the old manual says ; It is illegal to release any alligator once it has been attached to a restraining line. I for one did not know this. I have talked to more than one FWC officer about catch and release and was led to believe that was the purpose for the use of a dowel rod instead of a hook. If ya gota kill the the gator why can't we use hooks? In Kens defense, he caught his with his hands, but under the new Manuel I guess they've coverd that too. My bad, Ive led several people in the wrong direction. This is mostly my fault. I did get it straight from the horses mouth. I read the first Manuel in 2004 and have not read another one since. The officers I talked to were also back in that time frame,so things could have changed. LESSON---Read your manuel evey year.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do stand corrected. I wrongfully read that to mean that you couldn't catch and release a gator at another location. I too assumed that was the purpose of the wooden dowel instead of a hook. Doesn't make sense, but rules are rules. Thanks for the heads up!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts