Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Work Hard, Fish Harder...
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had promised to myself to not go offshore by myself, well I could not get anybody to go with me and this weekend forecast was hard to pass, so decided to head out 20ish miles by myself, then fishing was tough and ended up going much further down the hill.
Got up at 3:30, made fresh coffee, load tackle, frozen bait, beer and snacks routine check done and left home by 4:30ish. Stop for ice and more snacks and head toward the shoreline ramp, got boat in the water ready by 5:20 and headed to the mass for bait. Got plenty sardines in last then 30 minutes, I tossed the brand new net couple times fairly good but no fish lol, anyway by 6:15 started heading down the hill toward chevron.
Made there by 7ish, water was nice and flat with lots of fly fish everywhere. Mark lots of fish and fished live bait, got good bites and solid hook ups, unfortunately I have got taxed so many times, not to mention how many times I had got cut off, probably barracuda or king idk, any way started bouncing around few other spots, catching some fish and loosing lotta fish too lol, probably lost 30+ hooks honestly the worst day I had so far. I did try the new Daiwa set up I got for slow pitch, not bad at all, manage to catch some fish on it, need to practice more, but i liked the combo a lot.
By 9 I decide to do some to some high speed trolling around the elbow towards the north nipple, did troll 4 lures up until 10:30 or so until I made to the south edge, dropped a chicken rig got few mingos, nothing huge the current was strong I had to use 20oz so after couple hours or so started to move closer.
I don’t remember seen so many fly fish and large schools of bonitos in long time. Heading in I probably Stopped in about 10 spots the avocet was the best action, by 1:30ish started hall as back in as some storms were developing, got ass kicked about 15 miles from the pass with east wind and choppy waters.
Made home by 4 or so, clean the fish and since the mingos were not huge I did fried few whole with carcass and filler the rest, turned out nice.
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Plate

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Fluid

Water Cloud Boat Sky Watercraft

White Light Slope Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar

Food Seafood Animal product Fish Cuisine
Cloud Water Sky Watercraft Boat

·
Work Hard, Fish Harder...
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang good report dude!!! Great pics, glad you got on some fish. You got an PLB right?
yes, I am thinking about buying a raft and a Garmin in reach too, for offshore angler PLB is a must have period,
Yellow Gas Font Recreation Wire

specially solo.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
man, i haven't read a good report like that in a long time. i was right there with ya.
jack

Reactions: Lipz

·
Bearded Brotula
16,399 Posts
Great report. Please school me on the differences/advantages/disadvantages of the EPIRB vs the PLB. Im planning on making a purchase soon. Thanks
I have an old epirb you can have. Have to get a new battery and register it to you. Not sure what a battery costs. Has to be done at one of those ships though. Not a newer unit.

Reactions: Boat-Dude and Lipz

·
Registered
Sportsman 247
27 Posts
yes, I am thinking about buying a raft and a Garmin in reach too, for offshore angler PLB is a must have period, View attachment 1092396
specially solo.
Awesome report, I enjoyed it. I also have the same PLB and recently bought a Garmin Inreach Mini2 for another layer of protection. I hope you are using an extended kill switch cord, especially when you are by yourself. Ken

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Great pics. Those throats are looking good!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts