Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t run into any results like this in the past, anyone know how to get my “high” numbers down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Our experience is that dolomite lime will raise magnesium levels. It's got to be pretty high to be toxic though.

Your pH, P and K are fine.

I don't see an issue. You have problems growing stuff?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I may be way off here, but once you plant everything the plants themselves will draw down the "high" values. That's kinda the point of getting your soil right before you plant, so that the plants have everything they need from day 1 instead of struggling while you supplement with fertilizer.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
i didn't see any nitrogen results so it must be near 0 looking at the recommendation for that. you must have been planting more leafy crops in the past and very few root crops. leafy crops take in more N and not much P and k. also, N can be consumed from rotting organics such as bark, leaves, etc. because of bacteria. this is the reason farmers rotate from corn to peanuts. corn is a more leaf crop and peanuts is more roots. roots need P and K. pnuts put N into the soil also. the Ph is a little low and i would add some dolomite lime to sweeten it up. you can't get the high numbers down by adding something else, only the plants you cultivate can use it up. hope this helps.

jack

Reactions: delta dooler

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is new ground, hasn’t ever been turned over, I’ll be planting turnips/collards in it next week.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
This is new ground, hasn’t ever been turned over, I’ll be planting turnips/collards in it next week.

then you will def. need a liberal application of ammo-nite and that's all.
no lime since turnips/collards like acid soil.
don't waste your money on trip-13

jack

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
also, i was gonna mention that as high as the mag is, the leaves should be dark green with the nitro. magnesium is the backbone of photosynthesis.

jack

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
i didn't see any nitrogen results so it must be near 0 looking at the recommendation for that. you must have been planting more leafy crops in the past and very few root crops. leafy crops take in more N and not much P and k. also, N can be consumed from rotting organics such as bark, leaves, etc. because of bacteria. this is the reason farmers rotate from corn to peanuts. corn is a more leaf crop and peanuts is more roots. roots need P and K. pnuts put N into the soil also. the Ph is a little low and i would add some dolomite lime to sweeten it up. you can't get the high numbers down by adding something else, only the plants you cultivate can use it up. hope this helps.

jack
Soil samples don't normally test for Nitrogen because it's so transient in the soil and hard to measure accurately. Samples generally give recommendations for Nitrogen based on the intended future crop.

Grasses (wheat, rye, corn) use nitrogen. Legumes (like peanuts, soybeans, clover) make their own nitrogen so applying N to them only feeds the weeds.

pH is fine at 6.5. 7 is "perfect" or neutral, but most every plant wants a little acid in the soil. IMO adding lime while your pH is 6.0 or better is wasted money.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Soil samples don't normally test for Nitrogen because it's so transient in the soil and hard to measure accurately. Samples generally give recommendations for Nitrogen based on the intended future crop.

Grasses (wheat, rye, corn) use nitrogen. Legumes (like peanuts, soybeans, clover) make their own nitrogen so applying N to them only feeds the weeds.

pH is fine at 6.5. 7 is "perfect" or neutral, but most every plant wants a little acid in the soil. IMO adding lime while your pH is 6.0 or better is wasted money.
post #9 should clear this up for you. we agree.:thumbup:

jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts