Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good soft plastics for trout and reds. I plan on hitting the sound tomorrow and wanted to give some a try. I’ve heard about Z man Baits. Which ones are good to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Careful if you buy Zman.their stuff will dissolve other brands and warp you Plano boxes. I like the Strikeking Redfish swimbaits. I usually end up fishing GULP most of the time tho. I love the 4" Chat Mullet or a 4" Shrimp in natural, new penny or white, on a 1/8-1/4 oz jig head. Good Luck

·
Registered
580 Posts
Berkley Gulp-I prefer the jerk shad, swimming mullet or shrimp
Matrix Shad
Saltwater Assassin
DOA Shrimp

Also, I know it isnt a plastic, but my favorite non-live bait for reds is a gold spoon (I prefer a Johnson spoon)They LOVE them and theyre super easy to use for a newb,

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matrix Shad
Saltwater Assassin
DOA Shrimp

Also, I know it isnt a plastic, but my favorite non-live bait for reds is a gold spoon (I prefer a Johnson spoon)They LOVE them and theyre super easy to use for a newb,

Thanks I’ll look for one today

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Careful if you buy Zman.their stuff will dissolve other brands and warp you Plano boxes. I like the Strikeking Redfish swimbaits. I usually end up fishing GULP most of the time tho. I love the 4" Chat Mullet or a 4" Shrimp in natural, new penny or white, on a 1/8-1/4 oz jig head. Good Luck

I’ve tried the gulp shrimp but can’t keep the pin fish from eating them up. How do you fish them

·
Registered
322 Posts
Matrix Shad
Saltwater Assassin
DOA Shrimp

I have yet to have any luck on any spoons..what retrieving rate do you have? I just chunk as far as I can and then a steady retrieve back in...am I missing something

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hard to beat a 3.5-5” boot-tail swimbait. It’s a little trial and error but look for ones that a side-to-side roll as well as the tail kick. Pretty hard to beat the reaction Inovation Little dipper. I wasn’t a fan of the Matrix but like em better now that we can fish em at a faster speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Almost as good as live bait

OK Saltlife, I going to tell you something I discovered last summer. I don't believe in magic lures but I used this bait last summer to out fished many inshore guides.
Zoom Fluke, about 4 in. long in White Ice on a 1/4 oz jig head. Looks very much like a glass minnow

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Saltlife, I going to tell you something I discovered last summer. I don't believe in magic lures but I used this bait last summer to out fished many inshore guides.

Zoom Fluke, about 4 in. long in White Ice on a 1/4 oz jig head. Looks very much like a glass minnow

How do you fish it

·
Registered
580 Posts
Matrix Shad
Saltwater Assassin
DOA Shrimp

I have yet to have any luck on any spoons..what retrieving rate do you have? I just chunk as far as I can and then a steady retrieve back in...am I missing something

Just a medium steady retrieve. Enough to keep it about a foot or less under the surface. It’s without a doubt the artificial I have the most confidence in. But I can’t really explain your results Lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Starting to like the Zooms myself. Are you using the regular split tail or the paddle tail?

·
Registered
43 Posts
For Specks, Reds, and Flounder, I prefer Matrix Shad on Golden Eye jig heads. I've recently been playing around with Z-Man baits and like how they look in the water.

·
Registered
210 Posts

I use a gold 1/4 oz Johnson minnow when wadeing.
Let it hit the bottom,double tap and let it hit the bottom again.

The fish i catch are feeding on small crabs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts