Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some recommendation of someone with experience to help with some sod repatching.

I'm down by Perdido Key and have had some grub/mole and Bahia Grass invasion the last couple of years to my lawn. Recently used "Manor" which seems to have cooked the Bahia Grass.

We need to dig it out and fill in some then lay sod. We can do it in phases as I have St. Augustine in the rear, and Centipede in the front.

Any contact suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
It might be best to wait until March or so. New sod won't have time to put down a good root system. If we get a real hard freeze this winter....bye-bye new sod (potentially).

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,168 Posts
I would wait till the spring too.

Then I would take out EVERYTHING you want to replace. Go to the Escambia County Extension Office sometime between then and now.

http://escambia.ifas.ufl.edu/

Ask which grass would be best AND pickup a "test kit". Send off a soil sample for a few bucks (directions are in the kit). You'll get an e-mail back. If you cannot understand it, go back to the Extension Office and show the "Master Gardener" your report. He will tell you what lime and/or fertilizer to put down. Ask him when to put down the lime and fertilizer. Before or after resodding?

Ask a Professional. For FREE, well except for the gas money and the soil test.

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideal on getting a soil test. I'll do that right away and wait on the rest till Spring.

Thanks.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Do the soil test now. If you need lime it's best to put it down a few months prior so it has time to activate into the soil. If you're going to re-sod an area I would put round up on it now to kill off whatever is there and give it the winter to rot. The mulch that rots will just help fertilize the soil. If you can get some rabbit poop, no smell and very high in Nitrogen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I know this is what I would do based on different readings. Go ahead and lay some new sod.

Winter months will make the grass dormant, but root systems are actively growing even though there is no blade growth. This way, when spring comes around, you can lay a pre-emergant herbicide to keep the weeds away. Many weed killers should not be used directly after laying sod.

Just like every other region, we have strong weeds like crabgrass and broadleaf creeping weeds which steal nutrients from the grass. I would lay the sod now so that you can put down herbicides when spring comes around. This way the weeds won't have a chance to take over your new sod. Weeds are a PITA during the summer months due to quick growth and spread.

Soil check is a great idea to get a better understand what nutrients your soil might be lacking.

Not trying to go against everyone, this is just what I think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year I had my first winter garden, and was surprise how well it did. I found you can garden year round here.

In January laid some sod in a section in the front side and it took. Of course we had a warm winter.

Yes, Fall is better than the summer and drought to lay sod at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts