Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see if I understand this?

Chris Coulture sells the forum, great! He has now made money from his hard work. He should.

The new owners will sell advertising and pop-ups (as we all know) and make money - great. They should.

The Moderators, who <span style="text-decoration: underline;">volunteer their time and efforts to keep us in line get what, aGoose? That ain't right, but; who said life is fair?

Hum - something ain't right here.

Of Course ----the PFFboard members, get to keep on keepin' on, with a huge amount of posts, and activities as always. That activity of and for the PFF'ers is nice.

The popularity of the PFF increases the "value" of this forum to the new owner, thus larger fees for advertising.

Compare to Cox Cable. They charge you money to watch TV and then sell adds based upon the amount of subscribers, then we have to watch the Cable Commercials.

Maybe, the Cable providers should pay us to watch their commercials.

Maybe, a PFF'er should get points for the amount of posts he or she posts, which then increases the value of the forum.

I have seen forum's which do provide a monetary value to a member and provides a running tab. This tab can be redeemed in different types of manner

i.e.

Like maybe the advertisers on the forum provide "Sky Miles" or "Forum Bucks" to be redeemed when purchasing an advertised item.

Lets spread the wealth!!!

Just a thought, trying to keep the mind off the oil!!

·
Super Moderator
28,139 Posts
That sounds like a great/valid point Tom......Free shirts and what nots....How bout a free flag:p

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
BananaTom (14/06/2010)Lets see if I understand this?

Chris Coulture sells the forum, great! He has now made money from his hard work. He should.

The new owners will sell advertising and pop-ups (as we all know) and make money - great. They should.

The Moderators, who <span style="text-decoration: underline;">volunteer their time and efforts to keep us in line get what, aGoose? That ain't right, but; who said life is fair?

Of Course ----the PFFboard members, get to keep on keepin' on, with a huge amount of posts, and activities as always. That activity of and for the PFF'ers is nice.

The popularity of the PFF increases the "value" of this forum to the new owner, thus larger fees for advertising.

Compare to Cox Cable. They charge you money to watch TV and then sell adds based upon the amount of subscribers, then we have to watch the Cable Commercials.

Maybe, a PFF'er should get points for the amount of posts he or she posts, which then increases the value of the forum.

<span style="text-decoration: underline;">I have seen forum's which do provide a monetary value to a member and provides a running tab. This tab can be redeemed in different types of manner

i.e.

Like maybe the advertisers on the forum provide "Sky Miles" or "Forum Bucks" to be redeemed when purchasing an advertised item.

I call BS on this one Tom, Please post links to the Forums that do as you say.................Chris owes You NOTHING, He owes Me NOTHING...........AGAIN you are turning the spotlight on yourself, Arent You???????????

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Doubt much money changed hands. The new owners likely work out of a small office and own 7, 8 forums and make an accumulatedincome off the clicked on ads shown everyday. Doubt if they make as much as a $100 a day off this forum. Thatis probably why Chrissold it, since the work of watching and maintainingthe site did not make him enough income from just this forum. Just my take on it.

·
Super Moderator
19,603 Posts
Regardless how much it was sold for I hope the moderators were taken care of in a monetary way for keeping this site up and running for as long as they did. You cant have a forum with members and the moderators are just members that donated their time to keeping the forum running. Im pretty sure it was a pretty good amount of cash considering the traffic on here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tom Im still getting over the site upgrade if thats what you want to call it logging on to the forum is slower now than ever and clicking on each post is a chore Ive been letting it go because I enjoy the PFF and the folks on here I dont know I guess Ill just go with the flow until I cant deal with it anymore.and it ok to vent a little we all hate change to some degree.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Snagged Line (15/06/2010)
BananaTom (14/06/2010)Lets see if I understand this?

<span style="text-decoration: underline;">I have seen forum's which do provide a monetary value to a member and provides a running tab. This tab can be redeemed in different types of manner

i.e.

I call BS on this one Tom, Please post links to the Forums that do as you say.................Chris owes You NOTHING, He owes Me NOTHING...........AGAIN you are turning the spotlight on yourself, Arent You???????????

ding, ding, ding...we have a winner dennis...

and chase (splittine)...that's the dumbest thig you've said since the dumbest thing i have said in a while...the mods don't deserve squat! except maybe a pat on the back or a thankyou...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
<div class="smallfont">Welcome, jjam.
You last visited: Yesterday at <span class="time">11:28 PM Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 14.Cash: <span id="navbar_credits">93 [Check]

No BS Snagged, the above is my account over at the Salty Cajun and I believe they operate as Tom describes; however, I haven't redeemed any of my cash and don't intend to....Just glad I have cash stashed some where...lol

The Pff has been a great resource and I thank Chris for allowing me to be a member and happy that it's free or I'd go broke for sure....lol

CHEERS!!!!

Jimmy

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Moderators on the forum are needed to keep things civil. Prior to the sale of PFF the moderators were all volunteers and enjoyed the "status " of being a moderator. Post sale, if the moderators do not wish to volunteer to fill that function, then don't. Moderators are supposed to set the example for the rest of us to follow. Instead of complaining about it, ask the new owners to be compensated for your time as a moderator. If they refuse, you can quit or continue to volunteer your time as you see fit.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I cant believe people are bitching about Chris selling HIS forum and now people are saying that he owes forum members (moderators) money since he sold it. Are you shitting me?

·
Super Moderator
19,603 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (15/06/2010)I cant believe people are bitching about Chris selling HIS forum and now people are saying that he owes forum members (moderators) money since he sold it. Are you shitting me?
Some of thosemoderators did just as much if not more for this forum for the last few years than Chris did. Like I said in another thread this is not a forum if it wasnt for the members it just a website. Chris made money on this forum because of people like me and you. If the mods didnt help out this thing would have went to shit the way this forum has grown in the last couple years.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snagged Line (15/06/2010)
BananaTom (14/06/2010)<span style="text-decoration: underline;">I have seen forum's which do provide a monetary value to a member and provides a running tab. This tab can be redeemed in different types of manner

i.e.

<DIR><DIR>1. First of all Snagged Line, let ask you to stand up and un-Snagged Line your Panties from your Butt.

2. Second - The spot light I am reflecting is directed upon the moderators. They desire it. They are the ones who have kept me and others in line. They are the ones who have donated countless hours of watching over us with only the name "Moderator" as a reward. When I, or you, or anyone else gets outline, they Sir, put a stop to it and delete it. They have MY most utmost respect.

</DIR></DIR><DIR><DIR>I have been guilty in the past, I am NO Saint. Thank you Moderators for helping me to be come a better person. I owe you, you know it, we have discussed it.

3. Third - the only forum that is "Open" to you, that rewards posters, is the Salty Cajun. Right now they are just calculating "Bucks". Some day that administrator has dreams. I know what they are.

Most forums that reward posters who participates are "CLOSED" forums, of which I receive bonus points within that forum for blogs and posts. These are commercial forums / or for profit orientated forums.

4. Fourth - I do not believe Chris Coulture owes me anything, or you, or anyone else. I apologize to Chris Coulture if I made YOU think he does. I know better, he knows better, and everyone else should know better. Chris owes us nothing, we owe him for the life style he has provided, far beyond beyond his wildest dreams!!!

</DIR></DIR>It is truly a dream come true.

<DIR><DIR>5. Now on to other statements - this forum is worth big bucks. Perform your own investigative research. You will then find out how much a place like this is worth. It is not about my "self worth", as "Snagged Line" believes. I have no value here, other than a friend to those who know I am. I am board member, just as all of the board members on here are. No one is greater than I, or anyone else.

</DIR></DIR>

<DIR><DIR>We are one great family, and there is NOTHING, at all, that I would not do for you, or anyone else, Just Ask!!!

</DIR></DIR>

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
As I said................Just remember to wear Eye protection, Those lights can be Bright.............

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,134 Posts
This forum is nothing more than a TV channel. Watch if you like, Don't watch if you don't.

Moderators deserve some scratch I think, but if they want to volunteer, that's fine too, though the union member in me isn't exactly happy.

I've not noticed much difference in advertising yet, though it's less outdoors related to be sure. But it's small and in a single spot.

No editing or deleting posts yet either.

So far so good if'n you ask me.

I will ask who the mods are? I'd like to be able to notify them of a "viral" thread or poster.

Jim

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
well...isn't that special?...wtf...let it ride like i will...

some of the mods have quit anyway...remember when there wasn't a mod except for chris?...there isn't any perfect solution to any of this...i believe people are reading way too much into this and have way too much time on their hands...imho...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I'm not sure how the arrangement between moderators/administrators/new owners needs to be a member input item.....this is something that is still yet to be determined.......

That's the reason I removed myself as a moderator because that's still and unknown and yet to be addressed. I've known the site was sold for a month. For that month, I was asked to keep it to myself, and for that month, I continuedvolunteering my time even though it had been sold and people were being paid to do work here.

It was also stated that moderators can't delete themselves only administrators can delete..... I have had administrator privleges for a couple of yrs even though it said mod in my logon. Chris didn't even know I had removed myself as a moderator until I had already done it.....

I've been a mod on here for close to 5 yrs and admin privleges for over 2 yrs but that was ME volunteering my time for something that was ours..........things change.

I have my own personal view regarding the sale and will keep that to myself. I've put alot of my time into this site by choice,it was also my decision to leave as a mod/admin because individuals are now people being paid to do those jobs, while I continued to do it for free.........hence, time for my exit. I personally think it is great that something Chris put so much time into has rewarded him with some return.

·
Registered
878 Posts
As I have found over the years in other forums, if they aren't moderated and the "precocious children" aren't made to "stand in a corner" for awhile for their errant ways, the forum will evolve into a generic bitch fest or a boring discussion of others' personal interests such as "here are the latest photos of my darling hamster Fluffy" or "isn't this just too cute of my grandson throwing up on Grandma's lap?", or "here are 450 MORE photos of our great vacation to DuBuque, Iowa to visit with Uncle Hiram and Aunt Martha 3 years ago"!! You get the picture ...........

This will happen to the best of forums when they are not managed properly on a day to day basis. I am a member of the largest worldwide professional forum dealing with the career that I recently retired from and this very thing has happened to a few of its sections. They have not been properly catered and have deteriorated to the point where I don't even go into those areas to check the topic titles. It is a carbon copy of Chris's forum here and presently set up and operating on the same exact website template, only it was started over 15 years ago and is still owned and maintained by the same original owner. That forum had a reputation at one time for being the ONLY place to find out real facts about new products, the best procedures for doing something, an answer to a problem that you had in your business, or most anything else you needed to know about that career field.

Once a forum becomes established, it is more or less a self serving living entity that grows, goes through the "trouble" years and the growing pains, matures, and becomes established as a standard in its field, then enters the realm of the "senior" citizen of forums. By that I mean, it is always there for the older members to occasionally say, I remember when .......... " and the younger members can always search the archives for interesting but old news on things like GPS numbers, fishing hot spots, oil spills, or how it "used to be" back when we all had fishing all over the Gulf and the only "Deep Horizon" was that line of demarcation where the sun is setting as a fiery globe in the west and it is good to just be out there on the water enjoying the evening. But, if things are allowed to go astray in the joke department or the "bashing others" department or other negative aspects of person to person contact, it will eventually evolve into a forum the likes of which are different than it was meant to be originally. Sometimes it can be rejuvenated and brought back inline with what the original focus was all about but usually, it just turns a new leaf with new members and new interests and becomes something that many would not rather see happen. At that time, it is best to leave and search out that which holds one's interest for the point in their life where they are standing.

We all cringe at change. It is something that requires a conscious act on our parts to adapt and to modify our way of going to keep up with the flow. That is what life is all about and we need to try to make the most of where we are and what we want to do from here on ....................... that is what I believe Chris is in the process of doing at this time. It is his life and his interests that are the issue here, not ours. He has given birth to this forum, has nurtured it through puberty and the "growing up" years, and now he is ready to turn it out of the nest and let it fend for itself with others at the helm. That is his right and I wish him good luck in whatever he chooses to do next.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Having worked fora lot bigger company that ran one of the big forums online I see Chris did the right thing. I ran the fishing and hunting forum with Talkcity and had several people under me. I started working for them because I wanted to and it was for free. Did this for over a year and had 200 to 300 people a night chatting live online and even took time to build a trivia game for each room on Thursday night. Even went through a week training and following polices. Several I knew well in the chat room asked if they could help for free. So you started with TCC in your nickman when you were working online or as we called it being in uniform. My nickname was TCCane for Canepole. Still keeping in mind I was doing all this hard work at the time for free. Just so everyone was able to come in chat for hours free of charge. As time went along the Company asked me to become a CCC on the forum and get paid to host the rooms. Contract was issued and a lot more training. As a TCC or CCC you were able to keep the rooms calm with different commands they allowed you to use. You could take away rights to chat live and even kick them out the room if anyone got way out of line. Everything you did was logged to protect you. There may had been a few people that post on here that came to one of the rooms that I hosted in TalkCity.

Posting on the PFF is free and the Moderators have the right to remove or edit your post. They may had ask if they could help as I did with the other company. Posting is just a start of what could happen. This new company may even have live chat one day. Posting on here is just one step higher than sending an email. I would like to see a live chat service provided by the new company and I would pay for that service. So I set back with my fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts