Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had success using snares? I grew up using steel traps for other species, mostly racoons but don't really know snares. Using steel, leg hold traps are illegal here in Florida, unless I can get a special permit, which is doubtful.

I ordered some trapping supplies and figured I may give it a try. However, articles you read on attempted eradication explains it doesn't really work. I get a lot of new fawns right near my house each year and hate to see coyotes on my cameras, knowing the effect they have on those fawns.

https://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/coyotes/

Coyotes in Florida: Here to Stay
Removing coyotes for the purpose of eradication is an inefficient and ineffective method to control populations. New coyotes move into areas where others have been removed. Removal activities such as hunting and trapping place pressure on coyote populations, and the species responds by reproducing at a younger age and producing more pups per litter; populations can quickly return to their original size.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Coyotes are damned smart and mighty strong, so if you actually snare one, you better have it anchored pretty solid.

I've never trapped one, but I helped a trapper that trapped for the U.S. government. He mostly targeted beaver and otter, but occasionally set for coyotes, and that was mainly dirt-hole leg holds. The only time I saw him set a snare for coyotes was when he found a hole in a fence where they were coming through. Didn't catch shit.

Good luck, 'cause I hate them sombitches.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coyotes are damned smart and mighty strong, so if you actually snare one, you better have it anchored pretty solid.

I've never trapped one, but I helped a trapper that trapped for the U.S. government. He mostly targeted beaver and otter, but occasionally set for coyotes, and that was mainly dirt-hole leg holds. The only time I saw him set a snare for coyotes was when he found a hole i

Good luck, 'cause I hate them sombitches.
Exactly what I've read about them. If I could use leg hold traps I would be good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Years ago In the military when we were in the desert we would set wire snares along our fence lines. Worked great and we caught many. Tied wire half way up fence above where the coyotes had dug holes to get into our area. Set snare opening inside fence around dug out hole and come back the next day. Didn’t cost anything except for some arming wire.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When hunting them with a caller you get one chance and they wise up fast.

I see the fence sets but I really don't have spots like that.

I would hate to get someone's dog also . However, I also don't want to spend a ton of money on land and can't hunt it due to house dogs running around on it.

I wish you could set the snare so they didn't kill but held the critter until you could see what was in it.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
When hunting them with a caller you get one chance and they wise up fast.

Then don't miss..... Take a couple shooters... Snares suck. If (IMO) you're gonna kill something, kill it fast, and final. I know you didnt ask.... Oh, did I say snares suck yet? Hunt the yotes, they may be more of a challenge..

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
I like the piece of chicken hanging on a treble hook about 4ft high....but since there are so many bear that might not be a good idea..?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Snares are great. Back in the 70s - early 90s, I snared more critters than you can imagine. From beavers to bobcats and everything in between. I would say that for me, 'yotes are easier to snare than to foot trap. I did a little depredation snare work last year for a gentleman that high fenced his property and wants to keep the coyotes out and had forgot how much fun it is . You'll never scratch the population surface calling and shooting in Florida unless you have a lot of open ground. It's a lot of fun, but realistically, it's not a control measure in our thick woods. For coyotes, you want to use 3/32" snares. I always made my own but there are some really good commercially made snares nowadays.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the piece of chicken hanging on a treble hook about 4ft high....but since there are so many bear that might not be a good idea..?
Thank goodness I don't have bears or hogs, yet.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Leg hold permit used to be not hard to get. It’s been years since we applied so I do know now. The advantage of a leg hold is that you can let Fido go. I would at least inquire about it

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Foot hold depredation permits are impossible to get for coyotes unless they're eating livestock. Unless you have friends in high places

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leg hold permit used to be not hard to get. It’s been years since we applied so I do know now. The advantage of a leg hold is that you can let Fido go. I would at least inquire about it
Yep, plus the have the rubber on them now. I will definitely try, much rather buy a few new ones like that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts