Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
tons of snapper (12/22/2009)I heard that the snapper limit might go up or the season might be extended. Is this true?
Doubt the daily bag will go up but we might see a few extra days in the season. A few as in, it might go from 2 months to 2 months and week.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
CRABTREE IS BACK PEDDLING CAUSE OF THE 4 LAW SUITES AGAINST THE NMFS/NOAA BY THE CCA,FRA AND THE RFA THAT WILL FORCE THEM TO BRING THEIR DATA TO COURT TO PROVE THEIR REASONS FOR THE FISHERIES SHUT DOWNS. THEY DON'T WANT IT TO GO TO COURT. THEIR HOPING TO APPEASE THE REC. FISHERMEN FOR NOW TO BUY TIME TO COVER THEIR BUTTS. DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT THEY ARE CONCEDEING THAT THERE ARE MORE FISH OUT THERE, THE ENVIRO'S ARE AT FULL ALERT RIGHT NOW. IF YOU GET EMAILS FROM BOB SHIP OR BON ZALES YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING. DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN TILL IT IS IN WRITING THAT THE FISH HAVE RECOVERED. THEY ARE VERY UNDERHANDED AS YOU WELL KNOW. KEEP UP LETTING YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS YOU WANT PROOF FROM THE NMFS/NOAA OF HOW THEY DETERMINE THE #S THEY USE TO GOVERN THE FISHERIES AND WHAT SCIENTIST ARE USED AND WHO ARE THEY CONNECTED WITH(ENVIRO'S) THAT IS HELPING TO FUND THEIR STUDIES. JM2C

·
Registered
518 Posts
SIZE LIMIT... this will control a good bit of harvest

Seasons will help in spawning and next years seed.

The new motto for 2010

"FILLET AND RELEASE!"

·
Registered
478 Posts
I heard from a pretty good source season is probably going to be around 30 days give or take a few. All because we went over the TAC this year. Now the real question is what is going to happen to AMBERJACK!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
tons of snapper (12/22/2009)I heard that the snapper limit might go up or the season might be extended. Is this true?
Well, we know what someone was wanting for Christmas! Lemme know if Santa pulls through!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The snapper population is was damaged due to one factor; HEAD BOATS. I went out a few times on the Wharf Cat out of PA TX,. Almost 100 people on the boat with electric reels in one hundred + feet of water. Back then then there was no season, and the limit was 4. Within 5 minutes the pretty blue ocean turned into the a killing field with literally thousands of under sized snapper. There was our boat and dozens like it every day. The school bus snapper harvest have to stop. The Gulf can't support the national populous of "tourist fishermen". Rid the head boats and rid the season restrictions and the problem is solved. NOAA makes the rules. Boaters support NOAA; Head boat fishermen don't contribute to NOAA but are the problem.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I agree Headboats kill a lot of 'undersized &/or out-of-season ARS', but I think most reasonable experts agree that the main reason we have seen such a rebound in ARS recently is the severe decline in shrimping effort due to both Katrina taking boats 'out of the fleet' & also the price of shrimp collapsing due to imports... (More habitat is also responsible)... NMFS wants to claim that their '(mis)management' is responsible for the 'recovery' of ARS-(& Red Grouper?), but I don't think anyone else is buying that...

I also agree w/the poster who said the ARS season & limits for 2010 will be the same as 2009, w/a June 1 start & ~Aug 15 closure, but we'll know for sure after the NMFS Feb.meeting. Hopefully in 2011 we'll get ~90-100 day season, but don't expect the limits to increase until the NMFS feels the fishery can sustain a 6 mo season again. My biggest concern right now is the Gag grouper population that does appear to be in real trouble. I'm afraid that by the time the data becomes obvious to NMFS, that the Gag fishery will be considered so 'endangered & over-fished' that NMFS will try to shut down ALL bottom-fishing to protect Gags from 'buy-catch' mortality... I sure hope I'm wrong...

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
All that FWC has posted is that the recreational catch was approximately 1.2 million pounds over TAC.

They have a chart with the TAC listed for 2008 that list what the reported catch was and list as % of TAC.

The SE Atlantic closure MIGHT be a guarantee that Red Snapper will be over fished in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010. We're pretty much the only Red Snapper fishery in the country now.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Capt Wes it's like this you want to catch all that you possibly can now for profit. Others with conservation in mind would like a sustainable fishery for the future. That way your grandchildren can have these same debates with mine about fishing regulations etc.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't know Capt.Wes, but looking at his website I don't think he or most other charter guides (that do not sell fish commercially) are hurting the fishery... I believe that people who cannot afford or choose not to own a boat should be able to charter a guide & go fishing. That said, I think the Charters Capts that are also Commercial Fisherman & support the 'SOS' Agenda are not friends of Recreational Fishermen...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts