Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Ive been looking really hard since installing my FF to find a non public bottom spot with out any luck. So, it looks like in a few days I will be out around the three barges.

My main question, will it be safe given that every one with something more then an inner tube is going to be out there trying to catch a red snapper? I REALLY dont want to be hit by a boat and I imagine there will be tons of boats out there.

I'm also considering the artificial stuff off of Destin.

What do yall think?

Of course if anyone wants to trade a spot close to Navarre Beach for a spot in the Pensacola Bay that holds some good snapper and grouper we may be able to do that as well. :whistling:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I would wait till during the week days if possible. There's plenty of snapper to go around and really their not worth the problems they cause since OUR goverment has created the mess !!!!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
So, Ive been looking really hard since installing my FF to find a non public bottom spot with out any luck. So, it looks like in a few days I will be out around the three barges.

My main question, will it be safe given that every one with something more then an inner tube is going to be out there trying to catch a red snapper? I REALLY dont want to be hit by a boat and I imagine there will be tons of boats out there.

I'm also considering the artificial stuff off of Destin.

What do yall think?

Of course if anyone wants to trade a spot close to Navarre Beach for a spot in the Pensacola Bay that holds some good snapper and grouper we may be able to do that as well. :whistling:

I plan on hitting destin. There are a lot more options and it doesn't seem to get the boat traffic like it does around Pensacola

·
Registered
398 Posts
We went to 3 Barges yesterday. There was one boat anchored up and another super nice guy pulled up and help me locate some structure (I was flying blind due to FF crapout). With his help, I dropped a buoy and anchored myself to chum up some fish.

Within minutes a dive charter (Viking Dive Charters) pulls up and anchors on top of me. I could have spit on his boat. 4 divers go in the water and rather than pick a fight I leave.

Needless to say this kind of pissed me off. All that work to get situated and put chum in the water and right when the fish arrive he screws up my hard work.

I know there are rules about fishing near a dive boat but what if they pull up last? Do I have any rights? Not trying to start anything but just asking.

Ted

·
Registered
451 Posts
I really don't know why so many boats go to 3 barges... there are 100's of public #'s easily reachable by even small boats. We saw it saturday on the way in and it looked like a parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
28,115 Posts
Yak+1st day of snapper equals a bad decision....I would wait till weekdays like another poster put...

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dive shop boats will usually only dive a handful of close-in reefs. In Destin they are going to be the larger reefs like the Ms Louise and the barges as well as a few natural areas. They probably aren't going to drop a boat full of divers on a single pyramid. It's best to just let them have those larger reefs. Those sites are VERY public and get fished and dove on alot. There are tons more places within yakking distance off Destin. My advice would be to head out to one of the large area man-made sites and drift or anchor. If the snapper are like last year then you will have your 2 fish limit in a short time. There are something like 150 fish havens in the two large area sites east of Destin pass in 71' or less of water and w/n about 1 to 3 miles of the beach. I've dove a few of those pyramids and they hold plenty of keeper fish...I've even seen 150# Jewfish on them. The numbers are on the county website and keep in mind each of those numbers is for 2 pyramids.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I fished the mayor lane a good bit from my boat last winter. Its new and Ive never seen a boat on it, they would go right by me and head to the barges. That us really the area Id be fishing.

I started to put in a bunch of the pyramids off of destin but geez my hand was cramping after awhile. The crappy part is now, I have no idea which ones I added and which ones I didnt. Doh.

·
2019 Hobie outback
2,675 Posts
Thanks guys. I fished the mayor lane a good bit from my boat last winter. Its new and Ive never seen a boat on it, they would go right by me and head to the barges. That us really the area Id be fishing.

I started to put in a bunch of the pyramids off of destin but geez my hand was cramping after awhile. The crappy part is now, I have no idea which ones I added and which ones I didnt. Doh.
u can just transfer all the numbers via sd card, what kind of ff are u using?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
u can just transfer all the numbers via sd card, what kind of ff are u using?
My machine isnt that fancy. Its an old Eagle Cuda 240 S/map GPS/FF. What sucks about it is that I cant look at the sonar and GPS at the same time, I have to switch screens so I put all of my numbers in my little hand held GPS.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Ted, I've come to realize that people on boats don't see us as boats. Or maybe they see us as just another boat, I'm not sure, but they never have a problem dropping divers right on me too or blasting by on plane within casting distance as they head to some far away place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use EasyGPS to store my numbers on my 'puter in a file. Then just plug my GPS(Garmin76Map) into my 'puter and transfer. If anyone wants the file with public numbers I think I can post the file on here. Just give me some time to cull down the lat/longs...I've got lots of geocache stuff in there as well. I've fished most of the spots in my 21 footers so they are pretty close. If you've ever dove then you know that snapper aren't holding right on the structure but are usually all around it. Grouper are a different story...

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use EasyGPS to store my numbers on my 'puter in a file. Then just plug my GPS(Garmin76Map) into my 'puter and transfer. If anyone wants the file with public numbers I think I can post the file on here. Just give me some time to cull down the lat/longs...I've got lots of geocache stuff in there as well. I've fished most of the spots in my 21 footers so they are pretty close. If you've ever dove then you know that snapper aren't holding right on the structure but are usually all around it. Grouper are a different story...
I have a mac so not sure if it would work for me but that would help a ton of people out. Very cool of you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts