Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone here the "rumor" that snapper season opened early due to the oil spill. What have YOU heard?

·
Registered
541 Posts
i am sure that is not true.. besides.. you cant make it out of the bay anyways in this weather.. or would have to be crazy to do so..

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
I called FWC yesterday and the rumor started with the Louisiana shrimpers having their season opened early. It is just a rumor. Our FWC should have opened the season on snapper in State waters in April. They must get plenty of funding and "influence" from NMFS. They would rather the fish wash up on the beach or rot before they let us catch and eat them. One thing this oil problem is going to bring is alot of dead marine mammals.... I just hate that the Stenellas will be affected. They never try to take fish off hooks or harass us.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Burnt Drag (01/05/2010)I called FWC yesterday and the rumor started with the Louisiana shrimpers having their season opened early. It is just a rumor. Our FWC should have opened the season on snapper in State waters in April. They must get plenty of funding and "influence" from NMFS. They would rather the fish wash up on the beach or rot before they let us catch and eat them. One thing this oil problem is going to bring is alot of dead marine mammals.... I just hate that the Stenellas will be affected. They never try to take fish off hooks or harass us.
+1 on the rotting fish part. I have never seen government worried the least bit about responsible use of resources,

I once witnessed National Forrest employees draining a pond because they found an endangered frog in the pond. There were thousands of bream and bass that were flopping around and dying in the mud. Did they let the community know? NOPE! Were they concerned about the fact that baby aligators (also endangered at the time) were getting sucked into the pumps and getting shredded? NOPE!

That experience taught me alot about how the government operates......

·
Registered
76 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (01/05/2010)
Burnt Drag (01/05/2010)I called FWC yesterday and the rumor started with the Louisiana shrimpers having their season opened early. It is just a rumor. Our FWC should have opened the season on snapper in State waters in April. They must get plenty of funding and "influence" from NMFS. They would rather the fish wash up on the beach or rot before they let us catch and eat them. One thing this oil problem is going to bring is alot of dead marine mammals.... I just hate that the Stenellas will be affected. They never try to take fish off hooks or harass us.
+1 on the rotting fish part. I have never seen government worried the least bit about responsible use of resources,

I once witnessed National Forrest employees draining a pond because they found an endangered frog in the pond. There were thousands of bream and bass that were flopping around and dying in the mud. Did they let the community know? NOPE! Were they concerned about the fact that baby aligators (also endangered at the time) were getting sucked into the pumps and getting shredded? NOPE!

That experience taught me alot about how the government operates......
So let me get this straight. You're saying that wildlife biologists found an endangered frog in a pond, so they decided to completely drain the pond and destroy its habitat? That doesn't make any sense. Just where did you hear about the reason for the operation?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts