Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be a stupid question but here goes. Lately I have seen a guy or guys on the side of the road in Pensacola and Navarre selling snapper fillets, I thought it was illegal for an individual to sell snapper just like I can't go kill deer and sell meat on the side of the road, how is he getting away with this ?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
That's a darn good question. I don't havea stinkin clue. I can't believe they're just ballsy and FWC hasn't checked it out. Anyone????

·
Registered
955 Posts
He would have to have a wholesale license and a retail license. The retail license costs 450/year. The wholesale is about 200/year. Then, he'd have to have federal permits to allow him to catch the fish which would allow him to only catch a set amount of poundage/year, so in order to make it a viable option legally, he'd probably resort to buying fish from other commercial fishermen...........kind of confusing, but I doubt he's gone through all of those loopholes.....

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14pt"><span style="font-size: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Sounds like these guys are just taking a chance.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I?d bet it?s probably not even snapper.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></p>

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
MGuns (26/04/2010)<span style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; font-size: 10pt">Sounds like these guys are just taking a chance.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I?d bet it?s probably not even snapper.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Or at least not any of the species that we usually think of when we say "snapper"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutjanidae

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Me and my wife call her the shrimp lady, she just started selling Snapper.We bought some shrimp from her yesterday and they were damn good and cheap.On her scale she has a Charles Bronson sticker so I would assume if the Agg commisioner approves of what she is selling she's ok.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The Bronson sticker only certifies that the "scales" have been checked for accuracy, and does not determine what can be weighed and sold.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Again, I renew my objection to the fact that they can sell snapper on the SIDE OF THE ROAD, but I am ILLEGAL if I go and catch a red snapper myself.

What a load of crap, kick in the butt, suckerpunch that is....

What is next? A new law saying I can't drive my car, but I can pay someone to drive it for me????

I also HIGHLY DOUBT they meet the gazillion regulations of the Health Department, FWC, etc.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
I understand the angle y'all are taking, but I think it's crazy that everyone can't selltheir excess fish on the side of the road. Every aspect of our lives istriple controlled by multiple, overlappingagencies and bureaucracies. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes">Whatever happened to living in a free country?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

My neighbor just added a garage to his house and the building code prevented him from connecting it to his existing garage, so he had to build a breeze-way to his new garage instead of just adding it to his existing house. It's crazy! It's high time every one said, enough! I understand protecting the public, but it has gotten ridiculous and is getting worse by the day.

There, I feel better now.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am as "anti establishment" as anyone you will meet (trust me on this)... But what gets me is there are folks who jump thru the poodle hoops to be legit and some rate cutting cut throat skirts the regs and sells for one third the going rate, breaking the proverbial "IT" off in those who don't! Plus, I cannot trust a "roadsider" who ain't legit to supply seafood or other protein perishables to my family.

I will "hook up" with a buddy everyday of the week for fresh seafood and will gladly pay well over double going rate to do so... but a shady feller on the side of the road can't be trusted...

Brent

·
Registered
533 Posts
hogdogs (27/04/2010)I am as "anti establishment" as anyone you will meet (trust me on this)... But what gets me is there are folks who jump thru the poodle hoops to be legit and some rate cutting cut throat skirts the regs and sells for one third the going rate, breaking the proverbial "IT" off in those who don't! Plus, I cannot trust a "roadsider" who ain't legit to supply seafood or other protein perishables to my family.

I will "hook up" with a buddy everyday of the week for fresh seafood and will gladly pay well over double going rate to do so... but a shady feller on the side of the road can't be trusted...

Brent
Well that's the thing -- there are too many "poodle hoops," to jump through for everything these days. Heck, it takes an act of Congress to drop a piece of concrete on thebottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

I agree with you on not trusting a road side vendor for my seafood. I wouldn't do it either. I don't even eat the shrimp atChinese buffets much less the Alaskan crab legs that I know had to travel 2000 miles to get here before ending up atthe "all you can eat for $7.95," place.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I know all too well the "poodle hoops" folks must hop thru... as a state licensed (before they did away with it) nuisance hog trapper, I could charge money to rid these pests for folks but chose to do it for free. I used traps only where I couldn't run dogs (subdivisions against state "wildlife refuge")... I couldn't butcher a hog for you. I could sell you a live WILD HOG (very dangerous if you ain't familiar with handling) but I couldn't sell you meat even if you arrive and witness the kill and careful butchering....

I could sell you a live hog (for a HIGH PRICE) and butcher it for free... I even had run in's with animal control for live hogs on my place but since they didn't live 24 hours, I beat it... then I suckered the Zoning officer into buying a hog and supplying the beer as I "butchered it for free"... Had him in my "hip pocket" from then on...

Gotta play the hand they deal!:shedevil

Brent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well since they're selling their catch, they fall under the commercial rules, not the recreational regs like us. You can argue about the splits all you want but if you want an example of what the "anyone can catch and sell whatever you want" system does look at the fish stocks in the MediterraneanSea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts