Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put a smokehouse together today. 1000w hot plate burner in an old fridge box. it's got grill type shelves that slide in at different levels. got up to 180 degrees. will add another hot plate and wire a thermostat in it next, but she's smokin now. will be able to do sausage or brisket, even fish. never tried smoked redfish, but i will now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Pretty good look'in smoker there SM. Gonna get some of those Galveston bay reds and give'em some smoke. Tried reds once that way, went back to my macks. Reds to dry for me....probably my error. Good luck, keep us posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

·
Constitution Conservative
2,580 Posts
Watching with much interest.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty good look'in smoker there SM. Gonna get some of those Galveston bay reds and give'em some smoke. Tried reds once that way, went back to my macks. Reds to dry for me....probably my error. Good luck, keep us posted.

aiii-eee! never thought about macks. thanks. we have an abundance of them at certain times of the year.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
To me the oiler fish were made for smoking. When I was a kid my grandmother sent me over to a smokehouse to buy smoked mackerel, that was my crack back then!

·
Powerstroke Medic
6,251 Posts

Reds are good with just a tad bit of real butter

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Smoked mullet are the bomb. Used to get them in a little wooden smokehouse on the way to New Smyrna Beach. Split down the backbone and slow smoked. Man that was good stuff.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smoked mullet are the bomb. Used to get them in a little wooden smokehouse on the way to New Smyrna Beach. Split down the backbone and slow smoked. Man that was good stuff.
i eat smoked mullet when i'm in Fl., but not here. no one over here eats em. i'm told that your mullet are red mullet and ours are grey. is this true. there are times that i can get more large mullet in my cast net than i can lift. think i'll try smokin a few. how do you prep em for smoking?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Mac. i googled around some after i posted and i think our mullet are the same.(striped) anyhow, i'm going to give it a try. when the water heats up, there are huge schools around the Galveston jetties. not sure i want to do a bunch on the first run though.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
If you have a lot of mud bottom, forget using mullet for anything but bait. Mullet from a mostly sand bottom are good to eat.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,092 Posts
That's a neat homemade smoker down below. I use an inexpensive charcoal smoker from Lowes. I think it was $59.00 at the time. Will smoke 10 mullet which is just right for me. Rather than butterfly the fish I filet them out and cut out the rib cage. This is just my thing. Commercial bought smoked mullet over here in the Panhnadle are butterfly type which looks very nice.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,092 Posts
If you have a lot of mud bottom, forget using mullet for anything but bait. Mullet from a mostly sand bottom are good to eat.

That's true. Over here we have sand bottom and mullet are popular. They are served in restaurants all over the place. We have a strong mullet sport fishing community that fishes baited spots with treble hooks which are snatched.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Yea, have seen a lot of them around there myself, also the concrete boat.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Only one problem with that Ron, sand in Galveston not like sand in PCola...or anywhere in Fla.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Then they should be fine eating.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we have all kinds of bottom around here. the most mullet are at the jetties. it's a sand bottom there. that makes sense about the mud. i'm learning. do they migrate to the gulf from the bays?

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
I had exactly the same smoker for 20 yrs. If you get a sniff of something funky or your food has a slightly strange flavor, you may have to pull the insulation. Mine had it between the SS walls all the way around but the door was plastic on one side and that's where the funk was coming from. I pulled the plastic and chisled out the foam and it worked great

1 - 20 of 23 Posts