Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting a wind river 28:1 twist with 95 grs (by volume) FG prodex. 75yrds off bench, each square is 1"

So I'm wondering if other folks are getting good/better expansion with .45 cal semi-jacketed HP?

Also for shooting more then a couple shots any tricks to "quick" cleaning the barrel to keep the accuracy up? I've found that after the third shot it goes to hell.

Thoughts?

:mmmbeer

Stressless

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've found that my first bullet out of my clean gun usually shoots high. Then after every shot I run the wire brush down, and both sides of a dry patch. this way the barrel is in almost the same condition for each shot. Works good for me. And if I'm going hunting with a clean gun I put 50 grns., and an old round ball down it and waste a shot to get the barrel into the same condition that I shoot it at the range. Good Luck ! Hornady XP hollowpoint Pistol bullets in a sabot work good for me. ( 240 grn )

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What's the weight on the hollow-points you're using. I thought about trying them but worried the accuracy would suffer. From your pics, I guess they are worth a shot. I'm shooting T.C.shockwave spire points with 150 grains, (3 pellets) of triple seven with good results at 100 yards. I just noticed you were shooting a .45. I'm shooting a T.C. Omega in .50 cal.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are you shooting iron sights or scope? And does the gun your shooting use caps or 209 shotgun primers? i ask because I just went to sight in my muzzel loader a couple of weeks ago with a friend who was sighting in one he had borrowed. neither gun is fancy or high dollar. Mine is a Traditions kit I bought at wally world for $189 it has a scope and uses 209 primers. His was an older model that had iron sights and used caps. We were both using 2 powder pellets and 240 gr sabots hollow points like the one in your picture. we are both shooting 50 cal. He had a very noticeable delay where my shots pretty much instantaneous. May not sound like much but the difference on the target was huge. At a 100 yards he might be able to cover 3 shots with a pie plate, my 3 shots you could cover with a quarter. I'm not bragging just saying it made a huge difference.

For quick cleaning try the shotgun cleaning swabs they screw right in to most ram rods. just spray a little cleaning solvent on them and run it up and down the barrel and a pipe cleaner for the primer hole. hope this helps..

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your gun shoots the #11 caps you really should use loose powder (777 or Pyrodex)instead of the pellets.Loose powderwill ignite much faster without the "delay". The 209 primer throws enough flash to ignite the pellets without the "hang time". Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys>

OK shooting a 209 in-line primer on FG Pyrodex. 2x7 scope. The gun is a .50 Cal Wind river ($100) at Cabelas. I'm shooting .45 cal sabots in the .50 cal gun. Each sabot weighs 250 grs. I'm thinking the expansion looks pretty good but was wondering if other folks have found something else that opens up good and keeps the weight on?

:mmmbeer

Stressless

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I am shooting the .50 cal 250 TC shock wave with 150grains of powder, and they lay the smack down on a deer. I havent shot one yet at 200yds, but smoked one this weekend at about 150yds and geeeeeez what a hole it puts in them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts