Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think there are large deer in suburban areas of Pensacola/Cantonment?

Have you seen deer in these areas? And if so, where are some strange locations you have seen them?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
yes there are plenty of big bucks around pensacola. ive seen some sho nuff wallhangers but im gonna have to keep the "where" a secret.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The owner of my Company used to have a buck in his residential neighborhood in St. Pete that had 18 points. I never saw it, he wouldn't let me "observe" it with my bow...

It's amazing how adaptable deer are, there's a whole herd on the Navy Base, I have heard there are some good bucks on the Base.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
We were working night shift at nas 2 winters ago and would see some very nice deer on and just off base out the back gate

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Lt,
Welcome to the forum. Every third day you are surrounded by some of the biggest in the pensacola area. But your too late because I already have all of the good gps coordinates! lol If you would like a few more clues of some others you'll have to give me a call. haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
funny you say that...I work right outside the back gate of NAS and we will light 'em up on the way back to the firehouse down GB looking for em...I'm willing to share some spots and maybe some of my good conversation for some stand time...haha...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok lemme tell what I am getting at...I need help to help all of us. I want to turn all this property that is gettign dumped on by meth-head, and trashy folks into hunting property. The county has thousands of acres that hold rack deer and nothing is happening with it. I would like to approach the commish with a plan that would: 1. allow bowhunting on these tracts 2. help alleviate illegal dumping (i.e. JOnes Swamp, Kingsfield Rd area, etc) 3. genrate some revenue for the county coffers 4. give some people an actual job to manage these areas 5. generate some interest in hunting for the kids that have "nothing to do" Any takers...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry about the grammar and spelling...brain and fingers tired...going to try to sleep, at work, will check back with you crazies tomorrow a.m.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have some pictures and a video on my phone that I took the other night of a nice 8 pt on the side of the road on hwy 29 just south of reynolds harsware. The deer was just standing at the woodline and I circled around to see if i could see exactly how big it was. It would just stand there not trying to escape or run off. Seemed to me and another guy that stopped that the deer had been hit by a car or whatever. Law enforcement came out and after a little while of figuring out that this deer was suffering he put him out of his misery. It was a nice 8pt. I will load some pics as soon as I figure out how to get them from my phone to the computer.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have some pictures and a video on my phone that I took the other night of a nice 8 pt on the side of the road on hwy 29 just south of reynolds harsware. The deer was just standing at the woodline and I circled around to see if i could see exactly how big it was. It would just stand there not trying to escape or run off. Seemed to me and another guy that stopped that the deer had been hit by a car or whatever. Law enforcement came out and after a little while of figuring out that this deer was suffering he put him out of his misery. It was a nice 8pt. I will load some pics as soon as I figure out how to get them from my phone to the computer.
I've seen deer right there before as well as much further south. A friend of mine saw one crossing Stefani road one day not far from the Milestone area; believe it or not. If you are familiar with that area, you know that is heavily populated!

·
Registered
610 Posts
ok lemme tell what I am getting at...I need help to help all of us. I want to turn all this property that is gettign dumped on by meth-head, and trashy folks into hunting property. The county has thousands of acres that hold rack deer and nothing is happening with it. I would like to approach the commish with a plan that would: 1. allow bowhunting on these tracts 2. help alleviate illegal dumping (i.e. JOnes Swamp, Kingsfield Rd area, etc) 3. genrate some revenue for the county coffers 4. give some people an actual job to manage these areas 5. generate some interest in hunting for the kids that have "nothing to do" Any takers...
This type of management has worked great up north. I believe they argued from a vehicle/personal safety aspect. They found that deer in this type of environment flourish but suffer from inner-breading.
With bow only most of the local residents were in support of the program. If I remember correctly the shooting hours are only early in the morning to allow citizens the opportunity to use the area as well; i.e. walking path something like that. Definetly would take some getting used too, walking up to your stand on a concrete path.
I have close friends that use areas like this with pretty good results. In addition it also allows children greater opportunities to hunt. More people involved in hunting or at least more that will have some type of interaction with hunting. I can see lots of positives. One problem would be who and how will the "bill" be payed. Possibly annual dues and some government subsidizing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
seen some nice bucks right there at the dump and right on beulah rd crossing toward the dump from the adjacent piece of property i think you're talking about. that would be nice for sure. EPA owns all that property along sorrento and bauer too and i don't understand why it's not in the wma system. it would make sense to me. we all could use a little more public land, it gets a little crowded sometimes.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
That property your talking about as well as jones swamp is not in the WMA system due to a little itty bitty salimander that just so happens to be endangered. The craziest thing I've ever heard.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Most of that NAS/Bauer area is a wetlands and home to the endangered pitcher plant so chances of that happening are pretty slim, if it were an easy thing to do the whole area would have been developed years ago....We used to take 4 wheelers all through there in the 80s n 90s and very little of the land is considered high ground,most of the areas are Bayou watersheds and alot of the higher areas are close to neighborhoods...and I doubt people will want deer being tracked through the hood.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that's why I need some "tree huggers"...lol on our side as well as conservationists that can help me/us put together a comprehensive plan to the Big 5 and then the state. I have a cousin who works for FWC and he could provide some insight as well. If there is enough interest, I will hold a meeting at the firehouse in the near future...

·
Enjoying Gods Creation
1,262 Posts
I feed a lot of does on my back 20 in Cantonment all year and usually kill several nice bucks during the rut every year. My property backs up to a large private parcel on one side that isnt hunted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts