Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about stocking smallies? I remember reading that it was talked about and can't recall what the verdict was. I think it would be a welcomed addition. There are few freash water fish that fight as good, and I don't think they would put at risk other species. Any info or opinions?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've never heard of anyone stocking them in a pond or small lake. I've always caught them in cool water with good current.

Had to edit - I'm referring to spots. I don't know about small mouth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the ideal place to stock them would be in the river. I used to fish them up north in the St. Joseph river in Indiana. They were my number one summer time pursuit.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm not sure if Miller's Ferry has small mouth, but if they don't.....they would probaly thrive in there.......even in Tensaw

·
Registered
506 Posts
Chipola River, 130 miles east of here, round Marianna, FL has a good population of smallies. This river is cool running year round with good current and hard limestone bottom and deep shadey pockets. Its the most southerly river that carries the smallmouth. Check FWC and find a report they did some years back on the Chipola smallmouth.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Millers Ferry has plenty of spots, but I have never heard of a small mouth being caught there. Even there most spots are caught in or very near deep moving water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts