Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent a lot of time over the past two years scouting Blackwater, Eglin, and the Yellow River WMA. Surprisingly, I have found almost no sign of rabbits or squirrels.

When I get home from these trips, I see a million of these little critters running around my neighborhood. Which, of course, does not do me a lot of good.

Are there better places for me to be looking? I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks, y'all!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It's easy, you just get in a tree stand with a deer rifle or bow and they will come out of every bush and knothole within 2 miles, you'll be like a Disney princess.

Cartoon Vertebrate Mammal Organism Art

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can't find squirrels in blackwater. You need to look at a picture of a squirrel. They are everywhere. Find the acorns. Early morning or late evening

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls.
Thanks for the info. All I have seen on Blackwater is pine, but I'll keep a look out for some oaks.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I was raised at Wikerson Bluff on the Yellow River. Shot squirrels growing up. Never hunted deer. Back then you could go out in the swamp and sit down and the squirrels would stir all around you.

I still hunt the same area that I did as a kid. Haven't killed a limit the last few trips. Either they are not there or they just didn't stir. I walk every morning and most every yard on my block has 2 or 3 in the yard. See many more around the house than in the swamp.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I was raised at Wikerson Bluff on the Yellow River. Shot squirrels growing up. Never hunted deer. Back then you could go out in the swamp and sit down and the squirrels would stir all around you.

I still hunt the same area that I did as a kid. Haven't killed a limit the last few trips. Either they are not there or they just didn't stir. I walk every morning and most every yard on my block has 2 or 3 in the yard. See many more around the house than in the swamp.
It's called adapt and over come. I haven't hunted in years . I'm thinking about maybe trying some this coming year.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I grew up in Milligan and hunted oak hammocks in and on the edge of Yellow River. Squirrels were everywhere back in the 60’s, 70’s and early 80’s.
There are still a bunch of them but there’s so many people that you can’t hunt in most of the places I hunted back then. I’ve sat while deer hunting on the river and saw plenty but go just for squirrels and they disappear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
best squirrel hunting i have found is my wife's bird feeder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts