Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and Matt C hit the beach around 6:30 to see if we could nab a few flatties before going after bigger game. It became obvious quickly that while there were Flounder there and they were hungry, they were all pretty small fish. Instead of tearing up baits on Jr Doormats, we caught some Blues and Jacks and started looking for jaws.

They were everywhere and at one point I threw my bait in the middle of 6 or 7 of them. I got busted off twice by big sharks before latching into a big Blacktip that tailwalked several times and jumped over 10 times. By far the hardest fighting Blacktip I've ever caught and after I took her for a little "walk" I let her swim off. Pretty fun stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
little flounder

What Chris didn,t tell you was we only had one shark rig so after he got cut off he had to walk a half mile back to the truck to get another rig and me being the older of the two got to stay on the beach and catch another bluefish for bait.It was a lot of fun and like Chris said that shark wanted no part of being caught and put up one heck of a fight. Pretty fish

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Nice beach blacktip! What's the difference between a blacktip and a spinner shark? If we ever got one to do that corkscrew jump, we called it a spinner (just because it spun).

·
Super Moderator
27,927 Posts
Really nice beach shark!!! Congrats!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice beach blacktip! What's the difference between a blacktip and a spinner shark? If we ever got one to do that corkscrew jump, we called it a spinner (just because it spun).
Two main ID marks:

1) All white Anal fin on a Blacktip, whereas a Spinner has a black tip.

2) on the Blacktip, the origin of the dorsal fin begins forward of the rear margin of the pectoral fin. On a Spinner, the origin of the Dorsal is beyond the rear margin of the pectoral fin. What does this pile of anatomical bullshit mean? The Dorsal is set further back on the Spinner and has a smaller dorsal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts