Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after seeing all the sheepshead and redfish on navarre pier this past wednesday, I decided to buy a couple dozen shrimp and bring an inshore rod with me to the beach this morning. unfortunately all the fish had vacated the pier,and headedto oil covered waters. so Icaught a big hardtail at the end of the pier and started to troll him on my king rod. after trolling every which way, and covering about 3 miles of water.....i decided to take a break and let the swell/wind bring me back towards the pier. all of a sudden a pod of cobia come hauling ass, passing me and heading west. Must have been between 20 and 30 cobia in the 3 foot range. I grab my cobia jig and chunk it towards them twice....without so much as a bump. Damnit!!!! This all took place in a matter of seconds, and they were gone. after all that happend, I decided my hardtail was to big for anything but a monster fish. so I put a shrimp on my inshore rod and have it about a foot under the kayak, and my cobia jig behind me just dangling in the water. A few minutes later I turned around and see a small cobia circling and checking out my jig, and just following me around. He wouldnt eat the jig, so I dropped him the shrimp. He loved it! Jacked him up on my light rod and a 12 lb. test leader. Fun little fight. Ya, he is small....But he is still a cobia, and the first one that I've caught from my kayak.

·
Super Moderator
29,449 Posts
Nothing wrong w/ that brother!!! Bigger then any cobe I've ever caught!!!:toast

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Good job getting out there and congrats on the fish. It's not the size that matters but the quality of the catch.

·
Registered
148 Posts
hai remember talkin to ya out there that fish is awesome lookin you can see his miniture spikes stickin up that are deadly for kayakers ha

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
A cobe is a cobe- good job. Next time it might be a 60 pounder. You will have your hands full!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts