Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who bought a camper and is planning on a long trip. He and another friend are planning on taking turns sleeping in the camper while it is being towed and the other is driving so the other can drive straight through. They would maintain contact via cell phone.

I don't think it's legal in Florida to sleep in a towed camper or 5th wheel but it is legal in some states.

Seems a little bit dangerous to me.

What do you all think and about this and has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Always was against the law and dangerous, but then again I am an old man and laws may change. I believe this is the reason Motorhomes became so popular, even in them you are to be seat belted in and not on the beds.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yeah, your not supposed too, but with that being said.....Your not supposed to sleep at rest areas either.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sleeping on the bed in the back of a friends van headed home from Lake Charles, La. summer of 1980. I woke up to the sound of squealing brakes and the sensation of flying. He had almost ran a red light and slammed on the brakes causing me to fly off the bed and land under the front pedestal seats.
I wouldn’t sleep in a camper being towed and would advise against anyone doing it, way too many idiots out on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I know a young lady that tried this while her husband drove the tow vehicle. NEVER AGAIN. Think about it - travel trailers don't tow very smooth. You'll be tossed about.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,586 Posts
I would do it. When you hourglass runs out of dirt it don’t matter where you are, what you are doing you are done. That being said don’t be stupid and piss out the door or wave at folks from inside the camper. That is asking to be harassed by the Po Po. If I had to drag a camper back more than 4-5 hours away I would say that this would be the best plan. Sleep easy for a few hours until it’s your time to drive, or pop a movie in and kick back for a few hours until the driver gets tired. I don’t see an issue. Yes if you get into an accident the person in the camper is gonna take the short straw but that is the chance you take. I would do it no problem...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts