Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it was safe to sleep over night in a eight by eight tent with one of those small gas heaters running.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I would say NO.:(

I would not use any heat source that is not vented to the outside. Even when using our Yukon Stove on hunting trips I still put a CO detector next to my cot.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The little buddy heaters website says they are safe for a tent. I’ve used one in a 6 or 8 person tent before with no issues. The tent was pretty well ventilated though it was a typical tent, mesh top with a rain fly over the top.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
As one stated get you a CO detector and put it near you. I’ve used this method a few times and have always woke up in the morning...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
As one stated get you a CO detector and put it near you. I’ve used this method a few times and have always woke up in the morning...
... as long as your CO detector works. I've been bass fishing in a couple thunderstorms, didn't get hit by lightning. Doesn't mean it's safe or smart to do. :whistling:

·
Registered
937 Posts
During my stint as a scoutmaster in Oklahoma, I had the boys wear longjohns, socks and a knit cap or facemask, and sleep in a 40 degree sleeping bag with a big fuzzy blanket and a pillow. With that gear they were good down into the teens.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You can do it as long as to have ventilation . I made the mistake not having enough so was lucky the first night. We spent 4 days in the woods.
After more opening of the window flap all was good. I only realize it when I went to lite a cigarette lighter wouldn't work.

Emergency light Gas Cylinder Automotive lighting Security lighting

This is what we used in a 10x12

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've taken heaters into a tent to warm them up and then shut them off and it's nice in the morning when you're getting dressed but never slept with one on. I had a buddy lose his son carbon monoxide poisoning. Wall tents and wood stoves are a whole different thing.

Reactions: Yellow River Cat

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply’s. Going to hunt oakmulgee mgt area in Alabama. Really didn’t want to take the rv. But after reading your reply’s I think I will.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,718 Posts
If you use the catalytic heaters it's okay, they're carbon monoxide free (re-burns it I think?).

However, it's not really the problem I'd be worried about as much as I would be by rolling on it, it falling over and burning yourself and others with serious burns about the body or worse, death.

I use the propane catalytic heaters in my shooting house, but make damn sure you've killed ALL the wasps in it, or else they will warm up and be all over you fast. Jokers come out of the smallest cracks where 2x4's are sandwiched and from behind panels.

I'd do like Catchemall said, heat it up 1st, but do it with a catalytic heater to ensure no carbon monoxide in the tent. Put the heater outside, bundle up, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
One of those foil faced ground cloths help a lot, reducing heat loss to the cold ground. One that's sleeping bag size is (or was) cheap, easy, and a small, light pack. I also had a foam roll up pad for a while that worked well (especially on rough ground). I used to have two identical sleeping bags that would zip together to make a double. With a willing female camping buddy, you can make your own heat!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts