Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fast forward to 7:30 if you don't want to watch the entire video. And no it's not me or my video.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Certainly It’s much more humane to club it to death……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sure those other boats loved hearing that gunshot. This is example A why it's worth it to just move on if a boat is anywhere near your spot you want to fish.

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
I'm sure those other boats loved hearing that gunshot. This is example A why it's worth it to just move on if a boat is anywhere near your spot you want to fish.
I love living out in the sticks where gun shots are heard every day all day! I hear a gun shot and I say, the sound of freedom! Others here a gun shot and they duck and cover and run! It's not the end of the world when you hear a gun shot or see someone shoot a dang gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of the greatest challenges in fishing is right at the boat. Gaffing a big Cobia or any other feisty fish is sometimes dangerous and all times exhilarating. That being said, only a Pu$$y would shoot a Cobia. Man up and get the job done. I've gaffed thousands of fish but I am dang sure careful and respectful of badass fish. A 60# Cobia can make one helluva mess in a boat as well as beat the crap out of you in the process, especially if he takes control of the situation away from you. Been there, done that a few times. I've gone overboard twice when gaffing fish. Once with a Blue Marlin and another time with a 543# Mako. Both times ended with me wet and the fish in the boat. I've lost only 2 gaffs and one of them happened when the rubber grip pulled off the stick. Broke ribs a couple of times when my feet slipped and dislocated a shoulder when a Sailfish I billed jumped. (That really hurt and the fish got away.)

I'm darn near 80 but you can bet your butt that I will not hesitate to gaff an 80# Cobia tomorrow unless I plan to release it. Actually, If I hooked an 80# Cobia tomorrow, I'd leave the gaff in the rack because I'll never kill another Cobia. I "free gaffed" thousands of pounds of fish when I was commercial fishing, mostly Amberjacks. Now that is sporty and mighty messy but incredibly profitable when you get a rally going. It didn't happen often 60 years ago and probably less often these days. I could have free gaffed a 50# Cobia year before last but didn't. I free gaffed a 40= pound dolphin a long time ago and never even considered doing it a second time. Broken fingers hurt.

One more thing. Chose the right gaff for the fish or you might be real sorry, real quick. Gaffing fish is not rocket science and it gets a lot easier if you plan ahead and use the right tool. Also remember, gaffing a fish that it is close to short is close to a crime. It is just like "releasing" a short fish that you have speared.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Legal fish that you are going to kill to eat! What difference does it make how you kill it? Throw it in the box to die slowly, gaff it to let it bleed out, or shoot it in the head. Who cares??? Why does everyone jump to keyboard cowboy LE?
Overreact much?
I simply made a statement that happens to be true and that makes me a keyboard cowboy? Whatever dude.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I see no harm in how it was done but it appears to be illegal... see the bottom of the page of the link below
Recreational Gear | eRegulations
I have the same question. I read that Regulation Gear statement a couple years ago, for a different reason, and it seems to be a little ambiguous. You're not "hunting" the fish with a firearm, you are simply dispatching it before boating it. If you're fishing alone and bring a large fish to the boat, it would probably be safer to shoot it before pulling it aboard. Years ago it was fairly common to do that. I suspect it all depends on the officer you encounter and I guarantee you wouldn't get a straight answer if you asked the FWC.

Moral of the story: don't video it and post it on the internet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts