Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to Pensacola Beach this morning 5-17, too much crap in the water. Put one line out, reeled it in with the line covered in grass, or seaweed. Packed up and went home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the mushy, light green slime crap. Not sure if that’s the typical June grass. Only my second summer in the area. Too thick to battle.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
it's the kerenia virus....uh...i mean algae.
jack

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question for those with more experience fishing the area, when an area like Portofino for example, gets that algae. Is it worth driving to Navarre or Ft Pickens, or does it usually encompass the entire region?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
the whole gulf coast
jack

·
Registered
179 Posts
The algae was present but workable out Fort Morgan way Sunday. No Pomps though. Caught some unusually small whiting, a Ladyfish, and a stingray.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got hit hard by the ladyfish the weekend before. Didn’t matter what bait I threw. The first 2 or 3 were fun to catch. The next 6 to 8, not so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question for those with more experience fishing the area, when an area like Portofino for example, gets that algae. Is it worth driving to Navarre or Ft Pickens, or does it usually encompass the entire region?
Sometimes. On Saturday we found grass closer to Pensacola, so decided to drive to Navarre. The grass wasn't as bad there. Went through Navarre yesterday and looked like it was pretty grassy. Catching a bunch of blacktips off the pier.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
when it dries up, the county rakes it up and gives it to the homeless for bedding.
jack

Reactions: DLo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts