Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last 2-3 trips. High tide..low tide...day, night, pomp rigs, bait hooks, shrimp, squid, cigar minnows etc. Only like 2 catfish out of it all.

Anyone having better luck anywhere around here? Tips? Thanks!

-Z

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
I did have a little better luck this week. Went to Pcola beach on Tue fished with sand fleas from 12 to 2pm caught 2 pomps. Just enought for dinner. They are still running well. Lost alot of baits. Just keep going. Luck will follow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been fishing Navarre real hard the last few weeks. Trying to stock the freezer with Pomps before the oil hits. Navarre has been producing very well for me. I catch at least 4 pomps every evening I go out. Limited out last Fri,Sat,Sun. I have been fishing the points wading out and fishing on the backside of the first sandbar (not over it). If you cast past it, its just been a mess of catfish. Also, I dont know why this year, but I only have luck in the afternoon-evening. Ive stayed out from 6am to 7pm and never caught one before 2pm this year. Ive had minor luck in the washouts, mostly on the bar. All in all, its been a very strange year for me pomp fishing, but with fish in the cooler all is well!

Just trying to keep you encouraged... There are a mess of pomps here in Navarre. I've tried multiple locations all up and down the beach with the same results. I'd suggest trying from 4-7pm fishing the 1st sandbar with fleas.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Zoomie Juice (14/05/2010)I've been fishing Navarre real hard the last few weeks. Trying to stock the freezer with Pomps before the oil hits. Navarre has been producing very well for me. I catch at least 4 pomps every evening I go out. Limited out last Fri,Sat,Sun. I have been fishing the points wading out and fishing on the backside of the first sandbar (not over it). If you cast past it, its just been a mess of catfish. Also, I dont know why this year, but I only have luck in the afternoon-evening. Ive stayed out from 6am to 7pm and never caught one before 2pm this year. Ive had minor luck in the washouts, mostly on the bar. All in all, its been a very strange year for me pomp fishing, but with fish in the cooler all is well!

Just trying to keep you encouraged... There are a mess of pomps here in Navarre. I've tried multiple locations all up and down the beach with the same results. I'd suggest trying from 4-7pm fishing the 1st sandbar with fleas.

Good Luck!!!
Good stuff..... Thanks......

·
Registered
415 Posts
i havent had much luck either. i get 1 or2 almost everytime i go. just keep trying. thanks for the late afternoon info. i will try that next.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My luck has also been in the late afternoon, but only landing one or two on my last 5 trip. One yesterday after work in rough surf, Fort Pickens Gate. Jellyfish were showing up, but no green slime yet.Bait size sandfleas have been hit and miss.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally had some luck yesterday late afternoon. 2 ladyfish (hey, at least it's a dang fish) and then a thick, studly red. Of course....I got lazy while going to grab the tape measurer and he flopped back into the water before I found out if he was small enough to keep. Soo pissed. But, it got me excited again about hitting the surf around here.

Thanks for the late afternoon tip!

And btw, they were all caught on a pomp rig with fresh dead shrimp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts