Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out for the 1st time since my neuter this morning, on the water by 0545. It was a little to windy and cold, wind was pudhinv me allbover the place,only stayed for about an hour. Went for about 2hrs 3-5pm at bal alex ramp, wind was a little better, but still came up empty. Is there any saltwater inshore for dumbies or something. I didn't think salt water fishing would be this difficult.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
" I didn't think salt water fishing would be this difficult" Join the club! Take fresh water fishing and add the complexity of tides and salinity plus a tough time of year. Keep reading and asking.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Get on some piers with at least 12' of water for sheeps. Get on a flat with 3-5' of water near deeper water for trout and reds with lures. Hit the surf for some bulls or pomps with shrimp or cut bait. Lots of good fishing to be had. Tons of good info here.

·
Kayak Fishing Guide
1,810 Posts
The best thing you can do is find protected waters.

I have read a few of your posts and know you are familiar with a few launches in the Sound. If there's a North wind fish the sound.

Riverfan mentioned it's a tough time of the year and he is right. February is historically bad with crazy winds and horrible tides.

Your next trip do two things:

1.) Throw ONE lure and only ONE lure. This lure should suspend at about one foot and you should be fishing water that's 3-5ft deep. Examples are Catch 2000's and 17MR's.

2.) If you don't see any Mullet keep moving! Now your not looking for Mullet that are on the move, you are looking for Mullet that are staging on a flat. Trout and Reds will typically be on the edges waiting for a bait fish to slip up. Be patient and work your lure slowly.

Here's a Trout from this evening:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The best thing you can do is find protected waters.

I have read a few of your posts and know you are familiar with a few launches in the Sound. If there's a North wind fish the sound.

Riverfan mentioned it's a tough time of the year and he is right. February is historically bad with crazy winds and horrible tides.

Your next trip do two things:

1.) Throw ONE lure and only ONE lure. This lure should suspend at about one foot and you should be fishing water that's 3-5ft deep. Examples are Catch 2000's and 17MR's.

2.) If you don't see any Mullet keep moving! Now your not looking for Mullet that are on the move, you are looking for Mullet that are staging on a flat. Trout and Reds will typically be on the edges waiting for a bait fish to slip up. Be patient and work your lure slowly.

Here's a Trout from this evening:

Pa Pow!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I attempted that approach this evening, I started with a gulp croaker nuke chicken and kept it in till I lost it on a snag. Then i switched to a doa cal rootbeer. This morning the wind was crazy, I launched from oriole beach and my anchor couldn't keep me planted, so it quickly became frustrating and cold.

Next time out I'll take two lures (the 2nd is incase I lose the first)

I'm getting back out tomorrow night or Monday morning. Haven't decided. Would u recommend mr17 808 or paul paul brown orig. I have both.

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.

Nice speck btw.

·
Kayak Fishing Guide
1,810 Posts
I attempted that approach this evening, I started with a gulp croaker nuke chicken and kept it in till I lost it on a snag. Then i switched to a doa cal rootbeer. This morning the wind was crazy, I launched from oriole beach and my anchor couldn't keep me planted, so it quickly became frustrating and cold.

Next time out I'll take two lures (the 2nd is incase I lose the first)

I'm getting back out tomorrow night or Monday morning. Haven't decided. Would u recommend mr17 808 or paul paul brown orig. I have both.

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.

Nice speck btw.

I would use the 17MR, it's a time tested Trout killer and it practically fishes for you. I love the Paul Brown but it requires a little getting use too.

Throw the 17MR out and when the lure hits the water count to three, then slowly raise the rod tip about two inches, then lower to rod tip and slowly pick up any slack line. Repeat. If you are not picking up grass then count to 4,5,6,7 or whatever you can get away with. Trout and Reds will crush it on the pause.

The wind this morning was gusting 20+ there was no such thing as protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts