Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
itsme (1/25/2010)
skullworks (1/24/2010)Peroxide will make it as white as you want.

So, you put peroxide in with the water or just water when boiling/simmering???How much peroxide do you use?

I don't put any peroxide in the water. After I get the skull clean. I allow it to dry and then put the skull in a rectangular tupperware container and fill it with peroxide to just below the antlers. Some of the skull will be out of the peroxide so I wrap the exposed part of the skull with a washcloth or rag which I keep wet with peroxide. Some people use a paste that they say works good but I haven't tried it. I might this year.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
horse sense (1/25/2010)Where do you get the wood plaques? And how do you attach the wood to the skull without it being seen. My son is in the process of doing one and I will have to help in finish with the wood and hanging on the wall.

Thanks for the info.

I get my panels from Ozark Woods from Arkansas. You can find them with a google search. I don't have the phone number handy. They make this panel in oak and walnut. Just ask them for their deer skull panel.

· Registered
3,383 Posts
It's not going that easy for me. I have the skull and jaw seperated but I let the head sit in my truck for a few days and the meat is as hard as a rock long story short I can't see the hole to put the rebar and I can't get the eyes out. If I just soak it would it be easier in a week or so?

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Southernblood77 (1/26/2010)Thanks Skullworks! This is by far the most informative post I have ever read on here. I do have one question...how do you attache the skull to the plague? Also hw much do you charge to do them?

Just below the spinal opening the bone flattens out. I usually drill hole in it and in the plaque and just use a wood screw that is a little bigger than the hole to attach it to the panel.

When I do mounts I charge $125 with a panel and $100 without.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Bullshark (1/26/2010)It's not going that easy for me. I have the skull and jaw seperated but I let the head sit in my truck for a few days and the meat is as hard as a rock long story short I can't see the hole to put the rebar and I can't get the eyes out. If I just soak it would it be easier in a week or so?

Maybe...it is pretty hard to get it to rehydrate. You might try getting the water to a rolling boil or better just shy of that and add some Dawn dishwashing soap to it. Let it simmer for 45 or an hour and check it on occasion to see if it is softening up.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
hosscat (1/26/2010)I normally just put mine in a metal trash can, screw the lid on, forget about it, come back in a few months, and Taadaa, all of the skin, hair, and gross stuff has fell off leaving only the bones.

My way isn't the only way. It is one of many ways. I have found this to be the easiest way for me after doing them for 12 years. I probably take more time than some because I don't do it for a living. It is just a sideline to help sponsor hunting stuff.:letsdrink

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.