Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad gave me a sks for christmas maybe 15 years ago. he put a new stock on it. we have talked about it a few times that it may be a good hunting rifle. it doesnt have a scope but i can still hit a paper plate sized target 3 out of 5 times at 100yds. well most the time. haha i was just wanted too get some opinions from you guys. if it would make a decent deer gun, what scope would be good for it?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any comments? i have 4 boys and few rifles. i was just wondering if this rifle was worth setting up for deer.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I believe they make several kinds of mounts for them. Check with BSquare, Tapco, Cheaper Than Dirt,etc. The 7.63x39 is good enough to kill deer if you choose the proper cartridge and keep the shot with 150 yards or so.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I dog hunted with mine for years. They work just fine. It will do the job. Check the above sites for scopes. The ones they sell for the SKS usually aren't of the best quality, but they'll work. They're short and just not big brand names. You can however buy a shell deflector for the rifle and mount ANY scope you want on them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Collard (1/26/2010)I dog hunted with mine for years. They work just fine. It will do the job. Check the above sites for scopes. The ones they sell for the SKS usually aren't of the best quality, but they'll work. They're short and just not big brand names. You can however buy a shell deflector for the rifle and mount ANY scope you want on them.
I hunted with mine for a couple years and it dropped every deer I shot. The shell deflector is a must, if you don't the spent casings with hit the scope/mount and un-sight your scope. The mount/scope/deflector I had was the cheapest one on cheaper than dirt and it worked perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
28,522 Posts
You can make do w/ what you got...just make sure you block a mag up so it will only hold 5 rounds. FWC would frown upon you if they found you out there w/ a 20 rounder...:doh:letsdrink

1 - 6 of 6 Posts