Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
What are the requirements and how can you get it?
There are a few in the Pensacola area. Far Horizons Sea School is run by a forum member and all around good guy, Drew Pogue.

You need a certain number of hours on a boat -- verified by signatures from captains -- take the class, pass it, pass physical. There's probably more to it I'm missing.

Then you need to figure out if you want run inshore trips (get the Florida Guide license and insurance) or offshore (get a federal reef fish permit or pelagic -- they don't issue them anymore, you have to find one for sale, run about $5,000 last I saw.)

After all that (assuming you have a boat) you need to find a way for people to find you to go fishing. If it ever opens up again.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
The class is not easy because 90% of it is stuff that you have never used and will probably never use in the future on a 6 pack boat, but the hardest part is getting through all the paperwork. If you have never dealt with paperwork and the gov't you will find out that all the jokes about the gov't and paperwork are really true. It is also not something that you will have a month after you finish the class. Figure at least 4 months later and that is if you are problem free with your paperwork.

I would assume you are wanting it to try and run a commercial boat for oil cleanup, other than that, I am not sure I would put a lot of time into the fishing industry around here til things are more certain. Either way good luck and feel free to PM me or call if you have any questions.

·
Registered
269 Posts
First you have to take the class. It is 55 hours. Then you have to pass 3 tests. All pretty easy if you listen in class. I never had to study at home. You have to complete a basic physical that includes an eye exam. You must apply for (and wait) for a TWIC (transportation workers identification credentials) card. You also must pass a drug test and enroll in the USCG drug consortium. The drug consortium card needs to be renewed once a year ($60) and you can be tested randomly at any time. Total costs for class, processing fees, physical, testing fees, TWIC comes in around $900. Sea School in Panama City has a great program taught by a gentleman named Dana Grubbs. He has the skill to be patient and teach all kinds of folks.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First you have to take the class. It is 55 hours. Then you have to pass 3 tests. All pretty easy if you listen in class. I never had to study at home. You have to complete a basic physical that includes an eye exam. You must apply for (and wait) for a TWIC (transportation workers identification credentials) card. You also must pass a drug test and enroll in the USCG drug consortium. The drug consortium card needs to be renewed once a year ($60) and you can be tested randomly at any time. Total costs for class, processing fees, physical, testing fees, TWIC comes in around $900. Sea School in Panama City has a great program taught by a gentleman named Dana Grubbs. He has the skill to be patient and teach all kinds of folks.
Thanks, this was the information I was asking for.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Sea School

The other good thing about going to a local sea school is that they can help you with the paperwork that goes to the Coast Guard. I was told to make copies of all papers and send it certified to get a verification signature that it had been delivered. If you look on the Hull Truth there are some lost paper stories. The test is rigorous but the paperwork as someone said before is a royal pain in the butt. There is also a physical and drug test. I feel like it is a paper chase every time I have to renew.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts