Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Both are fine though I prefer 7 strand as it doesn't kink as easy as single. I can make a half dozen rigs and have them last all day on a good bite, it seems like the few times I've use single, one fish kinks it up.

Single strand is smaller in diameter for the same lb test as 7 strand though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input JD, I'll keep that in mind. I thought the single strand would be less visible and might produce more action.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Thanks for the input JD, I'll keep that in mind. I thought the single strand would be less visible and might produce more action.
It is thinner, a little anyway. As for fish seeing it, Im sure mackerel dont care. I normally run 40# but if its really clear 27# though Ive had fish eat through it a time or too.

Ive landed four tuna, that baby sail, several mahi and plenty of macks on 40# 7 strand so Im pretty happy with it.

However, I have been debating on running a short trace of single strand on a circle hook for the next two months to specifically target sails and tuna . Sure I will loose a lot of kings but who cares.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages I suppose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, now you really have my interest. Do you mind sharing how your setting up your rigs for the sailfish? The only reasons I'm considering the siglestrand is for the visibility and presentation. I've had issues lately with my 7 strand getting cut.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard about it also but I haven't tried it yet because of cost. The instructions for it say that knot tying is a simple, and it's easy to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts