Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on a single motor 23 tournament contender. It has 350 four stroke Yamaha, I want to fish the floter rigs for tuna. But also fish the elbow and nipple for wahoo and sailfish. Notice that I can get this boat cheaper than one with twins.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
but with twins...if one goes out... you still have one to get back to the hill on...if not...might be a very long time before seatow gets to you and gets you home

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I think that'd be a great setup, lots of power and not as much weight as twins. Get all the safety stuff before you go to the rigs! oh, and take me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
cheaper at closing, and cheaper to service. not cheaper when the only power you have goes out when a july squall pops up with 60 knot winds at petronious with 8 footers. trust me, sea tow can't do shit if you are in a real emergency. if you plan on running out past the shelf, twins are the only sensible option. just my .02

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
SUNDAY-FUNDAY (3/17/2010)cheaper at closing, and cheaper to service. not cheaper when the only power you have goes out when a july squall pops up with 60 knot winds at petronious with 8 footers. trust me, sea tow can't do shit if you are in a real emergency. if you plan on running out past the shelf, twins are the only sensible option. just my .02
I fished the edge with a single motor lots of times, I was always wondering when i would get let down. never happened, but i have twins now......... I feel a whole lot better.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
SUNDAY-FUNDAY (3/17/2010)cheaper at closing, and cheaper to service. not cheaper when the only power you have goes out when a july squall pops up with 60 knot winds at petronious with 8 footers. trust me, sea tow can't do shit if you are in a real emergency. if you plan on running out past the shelf, twins are the only sensible option. just my .02
+1

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I've ran both and and been caught in alot of bad wx offshore and can tell you, it will only take ONE time breaking down that far out w/ a single to change your mind and opt for a boat with twins......

·
Registered
610 Posts
I fished the edge with a single motor lots of times, I was always wondering when i would get let down. never happened, but i have twins now......... I feel a whole lot better.

I hear you there. I fished FAR in my little boat, but now that I have twins, you wont catch me out half as far in a single prop boat. Guess I'm getting old.

If the boat is sound no reason you can't. But just because you can does not mean you should. Just make sure you buddy boat out with someone. A lot of guys head that way from this area when weather is well. I have a spot open from time to time and would be happy to have you on board. I would go out with someone on their boat a few times before making the trip on yours. just my opinion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I will agree with the experience / knowledge arguement, but I honestly beleive that the Yammy fours are every bit as reliable as any auto and they don't run two motors. Your most common failures at sea are electric and fuel and those impact both motors.

Learn, be safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I will fish up to 40 miles out on my single and feel like I'm really pushing it. My 40 mile imposed limit is based on the Coast Guard's Radio Monitoring, which is a 40 mile radius. I have an EPIRB, two VHF's, and all the safety equipement except a raft. 65 miles out is a long way, but w/ a buddy boat and a solid weather eye it is doable in a single. Actually, I think it is somewhat crazy going that far in any Center Console since you are in an open boat. Go twins if you can.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Realtor (3/17/2010)
I have twins and have on the the pastseveral boats...Sunday-Funday is correct...I have had to come in on one engine before...while it was a PITA it was better then drifting to the SSW because I couldn't get anyone on a VHF. With one engine you will simply "troll your way back in."

Go with twins or only go with a buddy boat. JMO BBob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks every one for the info. I have a 21 c/c now with a single but dont have the fuel range.Still giving the single some thought, but I really want twins for the security. I have always wanted to fish that far out in my own boat and dont want to buy another boat that I cant do that with. Again thats for all the replys

·
Registered
941 Posts
It reminds of a story. Back in the late 60's we were past the edge in a 20' Critchfield with a 100HP Evinrude. A Hatteras came on the CB radio and let my uncle have it for being out that far in a single outboard. My uncle's reply was, "This is a H - E - L - L of a lot safer than the single engine fighter I was flying last month over Vietnam." The Hatteras Capt thanked him for his service to country and did not utter another word about our being 25 odd miles out in the Gulf.

My next one will be twin, just didn't do it when I bought my current boat.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here is another perspective to consider. I had a 25 Hydrasport (not too different from the contender 23t). I originally had twin 225's on it. Loved it. Decided to re-power with a single 250 years later. Hated it...and sold the boat. Here were my reasons:

1. When the seas kicked up, it worked the heck out of that single motor and I had to ride the throttle like I was in a rodeo.

2. It made docking very difficult. That's a lot of bow swinging in the wind.

3. Prop Walk. The single (even with the corrector) pushed the boat funny.

4. Backing off the beach at Ft. Mcree. The tide will get you one day.

5. When running in a heavy aft-beam sea, the single prop will slip a little.

At the end of the day, I will make the extra payment, do the extra maintenance, and be happy with a boat that performs well. If you want a single engine contender, get the 21.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">My 24?CC <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Everglades</st1:place> has a single and I kick myself in the butt every day for not getting a boat with twins. Won?t make the same mistake when I sell this boat and get my next one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts