Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is catching any silverfish or seen any over in Pensacola? (Other than Joe Pattis)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just curious what is a silver fish besides a bug?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
me too. maybe scaled sardine?
jack

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here is a picture of one I caught Friday

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Some of the best baits around IMO. Redfish absolutely love them, they last longer in the livewell then menhaden, they don't jump out like mullet, easier to handle than pinners, and they cost less than shrimp.

We just call em white baits

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys, should have been clearer. Also called Ribbonfish, cutlass fish. Usually catch them along 3 mile bridge. Long silver fish with a good set of teeth that comes into the bay when it gets cold. Used here as bait for King Mackerel but I like the taste.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Ribbonfish I know!

We used the Williamson trolling ribbon fish to catch the families PB King Mack a few years ago. Would have swore it was a wahoo by the size and the fight

Never thought about eating em!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Ribbonfish I know!

We used the Williamson trolling ribbon fish to catch the families PB King Mack a few years ago. Would have swore it was a wahoo by the size and the fight

Never thought about eating em!
Meat on them is pretty looking, but life is too short to eat a fish that ugly.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Ah ha...it is actually a Largehead Hairtail. Eaten all over the world, one of the most important food fish caught.

I don't care. I am STILL not going to eat something that ugly.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Ah ha...it is actually a Largehead Hairtail. Eaten all over the world, one of the most important food fish caught.

I don't care. I am STILL not going to eat something that ugly.
i couldn't care less if the fish was pretty, ugly, or just pretty ugly.
i eat them all. just think of the lionfish. damn that's ugly. but that pure white meat is terrific.:thumbup: similar to lobster

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
hardtail is actually a good appetizer when your sitting around the fire waiting for the ribs to get done. course you gotta have beer to wash it down. :D
jack

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would rather eat pinfish

1 - 13 of 13 Posts