Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reds are moving around in the shallows from all over the Panhandle. A lot of smaller fish are up in the bayous and back bays, but there are some big boys (or girls) swimming around East Pass right now. These were sight fished in 3-5 feet of water and caught on Bass Assassin Blurps or gold spoons.

·
Roll Tider
2,662 Posts
Thanks for the report Capt. Pat!

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's a hog of a red:hotsun Well done Capt. Pat D. Good to see some good ole boys on the action Terry and Brad.:toast nice fish also. If I wasn't doing roof repair I would have been out there myself :banghead I'll be done tomorrow and on the water Sat.

Team Doad "86" P.R.

Geo. L.

·
Registered
848 Posts
flyliner, sweet pic o' fish! Is it early for reds to venture towards the shallows? or are they just seekin' bait/food there? or are they in the pass more at our currentwater temp of 58 degrees?

ps enjoy your input on Fla sportsman show w/Rick Murphy

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can find redfish in the shallows throughout the winter, even during the coldest days. As the guys in Pensacola can attest, the back water reds are smaller mid to upper slot fish and look for them on darker bottom shallows on a lee shoreline. These big reds are around the pass during the colder months and venture up on to banks and grass were they can be found in singles to small schools. The water has been kind of tea colored but certainly clear enough for sight fishing.I have been using a 3/8 head and bass assassin tail, cast ahead and drop it to the bottom, as they approach just hop it a couple times. If not spooked they usually eat.
Don't know what they weigh butbigger ones areover 30 with many about 20. This one ate a Rapala X-rap

·
Registered
60 Posts
Awesome post! Thanks for all the great info. I am returning to the area and still consider myself new and learning, but was elated to happen onto this site.

I am headed out for some reds myself and will let you know how things turn out.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Awesome report and great information. I know I'm going to sound like an idiot but what does the "lee shoreline" mean?

·
Registered
287 Posts
konz (2/18/2008)Awesome report and great information. I know I'm going to sound like an idiot but what does the "lee shoreline" mean?
Here is a little help Konz<DT class=hwrd>Main Entry: <DD class=hwrd><SPAN class=variant><SUP>2</SUP>lee </DD><DT class=func>Function: <DD class=func>adjective </DD><DT class=date>Date: <DD class=date>15th century </DD><DIV class=defs><SPAN class=sense_break><SPAN class="sense_label start">1 <SPAN class=sense_content>:of, relating to, or being the side sheltered from the wind ? compare <SPAN class=dxt>weather </DIV>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts