Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I have many bait casting and spinning setups for bass. I'm sure one would be perfect for tossing lures to blues, ladies and spanish. What rod rating and line capacity is best? Then I'll also buy a new outfit also. Can ever have to many rods and reels!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hey folks. I have many bait casting and spinning setups for bass. I'm sure one would be perfect for tossing lures to blues, ladies and spanish. What rod rating and line capacity is best? Then I'll also buy a new outfit also. Can ever have to many rods and reels!
for a rod I like a 7' MH or H with a fast tip just like several I have used for Bass and Muskie over the years. For spinning, at least a 3000 reel but probably 4000 is better and for baitcasting something like a calcutta. You probably have exactly what you need already.:)
Oh yeah -- 65lb braid with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader. The heavier braid just because it creates fewer wind knots.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Agree...Calcutta 100s or 200s, Ambassadeur 5000s or 5500s, Daiwa Millionaire or Luna. I go with lighter braid...put 100 yards of 20# on the bottom as a safety net and top off with 20# premium mono. For distance casting I'm more likely to fill the spool with slick 20# braid and top it off with a 30# mono shock leader.

I've got a "like new" Daiwa Ballistic 8' MH casting rod that would be perfect for that. I used it as a light King rod for a season with a Lexa low-pro/high capacity reel. Let me know if interested.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You want a compact "handy" combo for that. Something that'll be easy to carry and cast with all day long. I'm sure you got it in your arsenal, just be sure to rinse with fresh water afterwards.

If you're familiar with braid, then I definitely agree it'll help tremendously with casting distance and feeling any bites through the waves. However, 65lbs is pretty excessive for my style of fishing. It'd cut down too much on my casting distance. I've used anything from 8lbs braid up on light action all the way up to 30lbs braid on medium heavy depending on target species and lure weight.

Good luck!
Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts