Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is for the last two trips. On 9-28-12 we fished shrimp boats most of the day with no luck. Moved to the floaters and started catching yellows on live bait. At dark we started chunking with no luck. Fished all night with nothing but blacks. At daylight we started picking away at the yellows again. Ended up with 11 yellows and 3 Dorados. Go to back of boat to use restroom and when I look down I am basically relieving myself on a big Blue Marlins head. We had been throwing back a bunch of smaller yellows and i believe he was following us around eating them.Quickly grab the heaviest setup we have which is only 130lb Fluro,hook a big hardtail on and throw it in. He was lit up like he was running on 220 volts and the instant the bait hit the water he ate it! Fought the Marlin about 30-45 mins, after running the fish down we get it straight up and down and close to the boat when the line breaks. I guess it was bill wrapped because the line had a pigtail on it? On the way home we find a boat with hundreds of yellowfin on it. The boat was nice enough to stop and we caught 2 fish off it, the biggest of the two going 160 lbs! Rolled home in the rain with fish hanging out of the cooler and smiles on everyone's face!

Went back this past weekend and could not find any shrimp boats. Trolled to the shelf with no takers except for Barracudas. On to the floaters! Finally caught a Dorado and then a yellow on live bait as the sun was going down. Swapped to chunks and grind em out. Lost 1 good one at put 6 in the box up to 130 lbs! Sun comes up and the bite shuts off. Fished our way home with nothing but Cudas. Hoping to find some shrimp boats on the way home but no luck. Head up river with a good box in wonderful weather. Nothing like Venice!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Awesome report!

Pigtail on line=slipped knot. It happens to us all at some point. If it hasn't, then you haven't fished enough!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The line had two big curls (like it had been wrapped around something for a period of time and held memory) and the line was fraid. It was not a bundh of small curls like I have seen before. It was snelled to a 13/0 circle hook. Is that a slip? What causes it to happen? Also how do you post more than one pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Having the fray up the line and the curl not at the end, I'd vote bill wrap. Had that happen once off Mayport. The sail would have been the first of the season and a money fish. The wire leader came back looking like a coiled spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts