Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my boat up, ran my motor dry, put fuel stablaizer in the tank. But here in Pensacola we have had some freeezing temps. I have a 1998 120 hp. Mercury Force outboard motor. You guys winterize? Next time i think i will, rather be safe then sorry.

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
bay98trophy (1/12/2010)I cleaned my boat up, ran my motor dry, put fuel stablaizer in the tank. But here in Pensacola we have had some freeezing temps. I have a 1998 120 hp. Mercury Force outboard motor. You guys winterize? Next time i think i will, rather be safe then sorry.
Make sure motor is tilted down to allow rain water to drain and you have now winterized your outboard motor. Nothing more to do. Outboards do not hold water in them like inboards or I/O motors.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
What else would you do to 'winterize' an outboard? Just make sure there is no water collected in the lower unit behind the prop-(trim it all the way down) & if you're really 'feeling froggy' check the gearcase lube to be sure there's no water in there. Inboards & I/Os that are raw water cooled (or no antifreeze) & have water sitting in the blocks are the ones that need 'winterizing'= blocks drained... That said I'm sure some 'mechanics' are going to tell you you needed to 'winterize' it. I've been messing w/ outboards for ~35yrs & ~20yrs in colder climates than this & there really isn't much more to do...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There is a very good chance that many inboard motors froze and cracked over the past week. This has been worse than 94/95 when there were many cracked motors. The dealer that I worked at in FWB had cracked blocks lined.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Years ago I was told that the main reason to winterize (leave a coating of oilIN the engine) was to slow the effect of rust caused by condensation created when the temperatures change radically. This is not something that anyone has discussed here. Has improved technology obviated the need for this process? There are certainly huge temperature changes here that are caused by our constant winter frontal passages.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A couple years back I learned the hard way about winterizing one's boat. There was still some water in the engine... a hard freeze came through... resulting in a cracked block. Needless to say that I now take extra precautions each winter.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I had a 3.0 Mercruiser on a Regal bowrider I had several years ago. There's a plug at the bottom of the block that you can remove and drain the water. Another thing you can do is just put a 100 watt lightbulb under the cover of your boat back near the engine or even down inside the engine compartment. I alsoalways wrapped my outdrive in foam rubber just in case there was any water left in there. I figure better safe than sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts