Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be a dumb question but I will ask it anyway...Is it ok to shoot slugs in a regular shotgun barrel? I have heard different opinions just wondering what you guys think...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes. Use rifled slugs in a smooth bore barrel, use sabots in a rifled barrel.

Brenneke are some of the best slugs I've used.

Lately for the rifled barrel on my 870, I've been using the Winchester Supreme sabots... great accuracy at 50 or 100 yards, even with open sights and my poor eyesight.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes. It is fine to do so. You just do not want to shoot them through any of your extra full turkey choke tubes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The simple answer is yes. The long answer is you need to pick your slug (rifled slug on a smooth bore barrel) and then go see someone with more knowledge than yourself (gun smith\gun shop). Sometimes full chokes really are not full - sounds stupid, but you will find this. Basically you gotta make sure the slug is smaller than the opening at the end of the barrel.

I did this for years before I finally had enough $$ to get a dedicated deer gun. Now I use a single shot H&R 20 gauge with hornady slugs. Look around, you can find these guns used almost for the price of a slug barrel. I've got one kill @ 125 yards with the combo. Would of never dreamed of doing that with my smooth bore...

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts