Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you know I haven't hunted since 1996, well I bought a bow weekend before last and got it sighted in out to 40 yrs, learned how to use a climber. And headed to BW sat night.. sat till dark and didn't see anything. Decided to try again sun morning in a different spot. Got in the climber @ 5am and at 545 I had 2 does come from behind me, I waited until they we passing between the tree and me to stand and turn around. I bring the bow up and the trailing deer stops and looks dead at me... so I freeze. After a min she looks back the the other doe and starts following..holy crap that was close.. I draw back guess her to be about 30 yrds put the pin behind her front leg whille tracking her movement.. I mew at her and she stops nice and pretty for me to let it fly.. MISS! They both startle a little and trot off about 50 yrds and stop to look around.. then head off the way they came.
I don't know if I over estimated her range and shot over her or what.. that was the first time shooting from 20' up in the air maybe I should have compensted.

·
Registered
280 Posts
welcome back to bow hunting! Last year was my first year back in about 10 years and I shot at 3 deer before finally being successful...and one of those misses was a 140 class 8 pt! talk about feeling sick after a miss. Keep practicing and you'll get one again. It is very different though shooting from a stand rather than the ground. I'm good out to 50 easy practicing but all my misses have been from 30 yds and in.

·
Praedator
10,214 Posts
My first shot was a miss too. That was Friday. First time shooting at a deer with a bow ever. Shot right under him. Shot at another deer (doe) 45 minutes later and hit her. Blood all over the arrow. Couldn't recover the deer. So I am getting better I guess. First shot a miss. Second shot a hit, but no recovery. Maybe my third shot on a deer with a bow will be the money shot I guess.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My first shot was a miss too. That was Friday. First time shooting at a deer with a bow ever. Shot right under him. Shot at another deer (doe) 45 minutes later and hit her. Blood all over the arrow. Couldn't recover the deer. So I am getting better I guess. First shot a miss. Second shot a hit, but no recovery. Maybe my third shot on a deer with a bow will be the money shot I guess.
Dark red or bright red blood and how long did you wait after the shot?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.