Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m asking this for my dad. He will be moving to an area close to Hwy 98 just west of Weeks Bay. He loves to fish but is shore bound only. His back is limiting any long distance walking. So, my question is, are there any good areas around Weeks Bay or Mobile Bay in that area that he can access easily to fish? I know nothing about that area. Just looking at google maps, there is Pelican Point and a couple of parks from there going north on Mobile Bay. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The Pelican Point area will be his best bet. Certain times of the year will produce tons of white trout and redfish there. The speck fishing will be hot also but most of them are caught from a boat anchored in the middle. I have a buddy that fishes there often when the redfish are running and he will catch mullet and cut it in thirds and use the head for bait. He hooks it through the eyes because its harder for the crabs to get it off. He has caught many redfish but they are usually the bull reds.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pelican Point area will be his best bet. Certain times of the year will produce tons of white trout and redfish there. The speck fishing will be hot also but most of them are caught from a boat anchored in the middle. I have a buddy that fishes there often when the redfish are running and he will catch mullet and cut it in thirds and use the head for bait. He hooks it through the eyes because its harder for the crabs to get it off. He has caught many redfish but they are usually the bull reds.
Thank you so much for this information. What time of year would you say is the best for that area? Of course anytime is a good time to fish.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I would say the Fall is when my buddy wears out the redfish. But the mullet are starting to show up now. Crabbing is good also. So get some of the cheap traps and put a chicken neck or mullet in it. The left side of the boat ramp is shallow and many people crab there or fish for white trout. The right side of the ramp is obviously deep and can be swift at times. But when the reds are running, it can be exciting.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Don't forget about the Fairhope and Daphne Piers. I saw a 28 inch redfish caught on the Daphne Pier yesterday. They are not in there thick yet but will be. The menhaden were in there thick yesterday.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget about the Fairhope and Daphne Piers. I saw a 28 inch redfish caught on the Daphne Pier yesterday. They are not in there thick yet but will be. The menhaden were in there thick yesterday.
Nice! Thanks for all the great information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts