Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellows,

I found another monster buck..need some advice from some of you more expereinced.

Yesterday I was sitting there in the middle of a horse shoe shaped cypress dome..I'm in a pine with a cypress heads on my north, south and west...a palmetto field is to my east.{My back}Yesterday 3 does came from the east to go into the south cypress dome .Can't shoot does here..I then saw a big deer going through the north bay head..I couldn't of gotten a shot if I wanted..TOO thick..1000's of 4 inch cypress trees. This moring I was up there and at 7:10 AM a huge buck is busting through the north cypress home heading west..He must have saw me.At 12:00 PM I came down and found his worn deer trail..Tracks about 3 inches long. I broke the limbs up that were in the way creating a bout a 5 foot shooting window so I could squeeze a shot.the next time..Today is Friday..Dec. 28th .QUESTION .How soon should I go back and watch my shooting window.? I'm in a Summit in the only pine tree around.

Thanks,

C7

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your very lucky to see one right now, i would be there this afternoon & in the morning & every chance I had until you or someone else shoots him. Good luck, look for scrapes, climb high.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sir...It's the only pine tree and only goes about 13 foot..Big limbs keep me from going higher..plus it's a small tree.

I'll be watching my window tomorrow morning...I'l try and sit all day.

C7

·
Registered
309 Posts
If it was me I would maybe try to hunt from a different tree. Its been my experience that once an older deer busts ya once they always look the next time through. Also make sure the wind is in your favor, if he is already on alert its not gonna take much to put him 3 counties over. Secondly use a immature buck scent on the trail they are using maybe expand your 5 foot window a few extra seconds.( Dont use doe n heat unless you are sure they are in rut). As far as time I would be omn stand as soon as this front moves though 1) its gonna cleanse the area2) they will get up to feed as soon as its done.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
get you a grunt call and if he won't stop grunt at him sometimes this will cause them to stop but you better be ready cause he won't stay long.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I think I would try and make a second window a little further down. That way if you see him go across one and you don't get the gun up in time you can be ready for him in the next window. Careful not to do to much however since the reason he is using this particular area is probably because of the cover and protection he has.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I hope no ladies read this... If you can get your hands on a fresh red flag, it won't matter if your standing in the trail... pm me if you don't know what I'm talking about. Good luck...

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Catchin Hell (12/28/2007)I hope no ladies read this... If you can get your hands on a fresh red flag, it won't matter if your standing in the trail... pm me if you don't know what I'm talking about. Good luck...
<-- very nasty but possibly true. dont know if id go that far though

anyways, are you sure that he busted you by seeing you? cause if he smelled you or just thought somethin wasnt right, which big deer do, then that tree is still ok to hunt. if he saw you, you might want to climb up the opposite side of the tree and sit facing it to break up your outline. it seems that you are seeing a pretty good bit of deer in that area so i wouldnt go moving. and i wouldnt go scouting or cut anymore shooting lanes. youve already seen him once so chancesare he will be back eventually, you just have to be there when hes there. but if you put too much scent in the woods or start rearranging his bedroom, hes gonna high-tail it and not be back. just make sure you are totally scent free or as scent free as you can get and NEVER EVER EVER hunt that stand unless the wind is right for it. the biggest mistake you can make is to let him know that yourehunting himand youve already done that once. if he catches you again you might not ever get the chance to shoot him. good luck. i look forward to seeing some pics

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl7_lblFullMessage>I think I would try and make a second window a little further down. That way if you see him go across one and you don't get the gun up in time you can be ready for him in the next window. Careful not to do to much however since the reason he is using this particular area is probably because of the cover and protection he has.

Yes sir..I made a second window with that in mine.,,about 10 yds farther.

OK someone made mention if the deer was spooked becasue of me..

I'm terribly embarassed to say but here is what happened. I called a big buck about 3 weeks ago but he moved in on my right. Since then..a bunch of pros have told me "No problem..shoot left handed when that happens." So this morning at 7:10 I decided to aim my scoped Marlin at a tree left handedto see how it felt...} -: When I picked up the rifle ..foggy as crap this morning..A huge buck about 40 yds away went busting through the edge of the bayhead...YEP...I feel very stupid. At 12:00 I got down and checked out his super used trail and checked out his super big rubs..SChool starts back on Wed.I plan to sit there 6 more days..I wish there was a nother tree.This is it..one tree..a long leaf pine..I planto camo my face and not move..I appreciate the feedback fellows. According to teh game officials this has been the Green Swamp WMA s best year so far..I've certainly learned alot about WHAT NOT TO DO {-: this year. Generally I see 0-1 deer per year..This year I've seen about 15 driving in and 9 from my stand. both bucks were very big..There have also been a couple deer killed in the 180 pound range..Swiftmud trapped and removed 500 hogs last year for some reason.. Actually I've seen no hogs this year and the Green Swamp is known for big hogs.

C7

PS THOSE ARE SOME AWESOME MOUNTS GUYS!!!WOW!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts