·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Capt.
Might I suggest, get your son involved and make a set with 2 limbs and some fishing line. ( could possibly make it with 3, havn't tried). I did this a few years ago when my son started hunting out of a blind. A couple years later the blind was stolen. Every thing was taken, blind, chair and yes even the 2 sticks tied with fishing line. When I told my son that the blind had been stolen, the first thing he asked about was the shooting sticks that we made together. Probably not as good as a store bought, but priceless to me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Get to good size wooden dowels,the size of your thumb or so, drill a small hole about 4 or 5 inches from the top of both, put them togther with a small bolt, and then cut them to his correct height, they will fold up and work great.

·
Registered
438 Posts
dido on the makin you own, i have a pair for prone position. i like to tie the bottom end together with a long piece of cord so the cant open all the way up but if i was gunna buy one it would be that primos tripod one at mikes you can adjust the height with a pull of a trigger. think it's air operated with a valve and o-rings. pretty cool though.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Yeah, I make my own too. I usually hunt from a "redneck" blind -- I find a tree and back up to it. And sometimes leave my sticks there in the dark.

I just rip a 1x4 into 4 i-inch-ish strips, cut to length, and run a bolt thru at the appropriate spot, about 4 inches from the end. A rock steady rest when sitting.

You can move the legs further out to shorten to the correct height, and adjust your elevation by just leaning into the scope a bit.

I didn't think about using tape to soften the rest for the gun. I'm going to do that thanks!

BTW I haven't climbed a tree in years and have killed a bunch of does and 1 buck that was in the wrong place at the right time. I have recently fell in love with those Ameristep ground blinds (99 bucks most places.) Hides a fat dude like me pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts