Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fellow PFF'ers...I am going to get a Shooting Rest as I would like to save the ole shoulder when shooting in my 7mag - plus, it will be so much quicker andeasier when checking/sighting in rifles etc. So the question is - who all out there has a shooting rest and which do you prefer???? I have always heard good things about the Lead Sleds - but there are like 3 of 'em now. Someone I know mentioned Shooters Ridge I believe it was, and I know there are several others out there. I am just looking for the best buy for the $$$, not looking to spend $200 or $300 on something I might use 1 or 2 times a year...

So, what are your thoughts and/or experiences with the different rests on the market.

Thanks in advance y'all!!! :usaflag

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
finfever61 (3/10/2010)I've been looking for one as well. Here's the one I've settled on....for now. $89.99 at Cabela's online.
The colors look like one of the lead sled products...is that what it is? Or is it a Cabella's brand?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
finfever61 (3/10/2010)Yes it's a Caldwell Lead Sled Solo on the Cabelas site.
This is the one I have. It's a very solid well made rest, you would think it would cost more. Well worth the money!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
69Viking (3/12/2010)
finfever61 (3/10/2010)Yes it's a Caldwell Lead Sled Solo on the Cabelas site.
This is the one I have. It's a very solid well made rest, you would think it would cost more. Well worth the money!
the Caldwell Lead Sled is worth every penny you pay for it!! You can sight your gun in with around 3 shots. Saves ALOT of money on expensive bullets!! Therefore it pays for itself in a couple years for sure! You wont be disappointed. Ill never give up mine...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I much prefer bags to any of the rests that mitigate recoil... especially the ones that strap the gun down.

By removing the recoil you can see POI impact changes of several inches as compared to shooting under real hunting conditions where the gun will recoil freely. ESPECIALLY if you use the "rests" that strap the gun down.

This is what I use.

Now, don't get me wrong here. The led sleds, and the knock offs, are great tools to use at the bench but I would use them as more of an information gathering tool than for using them for a final sighting in tool. They are great for knowing what the rifle is capable of and great for determining if the inaccuracy of a particular rifle is because of the rifle or the shooter. They are also great for finding out what modifications to a rifle result in better accuracy or worse accuracy.

The gun should be sighted in under conditions that most closely resembles how you will be shooting under field conditions. If you use a sling strapped around your arm to steady a rifle then you should sight in using this method, If you use a bi-pod on your rifle then you should sight in using a bi-pod, etc... etc... etc...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts