Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there True King.

In response to your question about any specifictechniques for shooting more line, yes there is:

It's called "hauling" and it helps generate a large increase in line-shooting performance. There's a single as well as a double hauling technique depending on how much horsepower you need. It involves pulling your line backwards through the guides towards the reel during your back cast and again during your forward cast and it's really amazing what you can do once you get the hang of it. Here's a link to showing how it's done:

http://www.letsflyfish.com/double_haul.htm

Most people need a lot of practice to get really proficient with it but believe me, it's worth the time spent figuring it out.

Also keep in mind that,as someone already mentioned, long casting will not automatically pay off in productivity and I have caught more fish close in than far out anyway, but the extra distance will give you more options and that's a good thing, so I encourage you to get hauling!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garbo-

I'm hip to what you're saying.

I suppose the confusion stems from my not going a little furtherand suggesting that before True King invests his money in equipment like shooting line etc. (which like you said can be very effective in the right situations) that he would benefit more in the long runby first working on his casting in general and specifically cultivating a strong double haul technique to really get the fly out there. He's already using a WF line and in my experience that's really all you needexcept forthe most punishing of conditions.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts