Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
true king

Don't get me wrong, while I think distance is important, it isn't everything. I have seen and caught many a fish less than 40 feet away. I am just pointing out that a longer cast increases your coverage. I would never advise anyone to get into fly casting who didn't enjoy the idea of casting to begin with. Afterall, with false casts, you are going to make 2-4 times as many casts to cover the same area as a spin fisherman. I think other flycasters put too much pressure on fellow casters to perform on a specific level. Take your time and practice at your own speed. I have been fly fishing for about 4 years.When I first got into it I couldn't believe anyone could cast a fly near as far as a lure. However, I now know one can consistantly throw a fly 75-100 feet, and that is in the ball park of mst artificials thrown by bait or spin casters. You should enjoy learning to cast, just remember, once you get your first good fish on the fly, there's no going back. But the good news is, now there is FLY TYING!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts